Applying Only Fondant Decorations?

Decorating By Calebsmommie Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 2:58pm by Calebsmommie

Calebsmommie Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hi! I would really like to make the cake for my son's 1st birthday party, but I'm a bit confused on whether my plan will work. I have never used fondant before, and I plan on practicing beforehand, but I don't really want to go through with making the entire cake fondant covered - I was wondering if it would work if I just made polka dots out of fondant and applied them to regular frosting? I know it wouldn't look the same, but would it work? The reasoning is because I know several people who will be attending do not like fondant, but I still want my polka dots, this way they could just peel them off. Any ideas?

3 replies
cakecraft Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 4

This will work fine, especially if you use a crusting buttercream icon_smile.gif If you use a non-crusting, it will make the fondant shapes soften but they will adhere to the cake fine either way.

pianocat Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 4

That would absolutely work. Many of the pics in the galleries are buttercream frosting with fondant decos. You can also cut out any shapes, letters, or numbers you like and apply. Check out the birthday cake gallery here on cc for lot's of ideas.

Calebsmommie Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 4

Awesome! Thanks, guys! I'll try to post some pics when it's done - it won't be until next month, though. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%