Mud Cake - Disaster

Baking By kirigami Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm by Evoir

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 3

Made my first white chocolate mud cake and it was terrible. icon_cry.gif I was so looking forward to this yummy, dense moist cake I read so much about.
I cooked it for 1.5 hours. I even covered the edges with foil half way through so they wouldn't get too brown.
I ended up with a rock hard edge that still looked completely raw in the middle. It was complete garbage. I cut the hard edges off to see if anything was salvagable but it tasted as bad as it looked.
This was a test cake as I was hoping to use it for an order later this week. I guess not.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what went wrong?

Also any ideas on what I can do with the 2 cups of white chocolate ganache that I was going to cover it with. I already wasted alot of good ingredients on the cake I don't want the ganache to go to waste as well.

Thanks

2 replies
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 3

I am a beginner baker and do not know about mud cake, but you can beat the ganache and use it to cover or fill a cake.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 3

Yes, beat the ganache - it will become lighter in colour, and you can pipe it onto cupcakes, or use as a filling.

I'm sorry you had so much trouble with the mud cake icon_sad.gif Bummer.

Almost ALL brides in Australia ask for at least one tier of mud cake these days (in my experience), so we tend to bake a LOT of them!

There are a few key points with baking a muddy:

1. Use a LOW oven temperature - I bake mine at 145 deg C.
2. Line pan with baking paper, bottom and sides (rising 1.5 inches above top edge.
3. Make a cartouche to cover the top for at least the first 3/4 of baking time.
4. Use baking strips...I actually use wet towelling around my larger mudcakes.
5. Use flower nails as heating cores to get the heat into the centre of the cake.
6. Bake it longer than expected - for my cakes, an 8 inch round will take about 2.5 hours!
7. Let it completely cool in the pan before removing.

The hard outer is a common baking issue with some people, and they find shaving off the top hard layer to be necessary before decorating, as it has a hard texture to leave on a cake you're selling (incidentally this is the best tastiing bit!)

I hope this helps. Also remember mudcakes taste better after a day or two - so you can bake in advance for weddings. They need a firm filling IF you are using one (like ganache that is spreadable), but can be topped with smooth ganache and thin layer of fondant for a wicked smooth look. They freeze VERY well, and are fabulous for carving. Best of all they have a rich chocolatey flavour. Serving sizes need only be small.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%