Bad Weather?

Business By Kitagrl Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 1:54pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 7

In light of the snowstorms here recently (had a good one this weekend and another coming this wednesday....)

What happens if you have such bad weather that you have cakes cancelled (postponed) from one week but a full week the following week?

I had to have one cake postponed due to weather last week...it was fine to move it to this week, made me a bit more busy but its working out fine.

But what if, say, we had bad weather AGAIN so I had a full weekend of cakes postponed to the next full weekend of cakes... would I just need to pull no sleep to get them done, or would I have to tell all my nice regular customers that I'm now overbooked, or what? What do you do?

6 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 7

Oh boy that's a tough situation, it's never happened to me.

In my contract I have a "bad weather" clause. It states that the only time I won't deliver a cake is if there is a state of emergency issued and the roads are closed.

Otherwise, I make the cake and they either pick it up or I deliver it if it's a delivery.

If they choose to postpone their event it's really not my problem. They have a cake that they need to either freeze or eat.

100% of my orders are paid in full prior to me even making them so maybe that's why my clients have never "postponed".

Were your roads impassable or closed by the government as a state of emergency?

Kitagrl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 7

Not in my area but in Philly proper....but a few days before the storm the dad called and asked if they could postpone until next week...I had not made the cake yet. He's a regular and I had no problem with it but some weeks that might overbook me doing that so I wondered what I would do if so.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 11:57am
post #4 of 7

you would have to freeze it, i would think. perhaps doing so without the major decorations and finishing the next week depending on your schedule.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Not in my area but in Philly proper....but a few days before the storm the dad called and asked if they could postpone until next week...I had not made the cake yet. He's a regular and I had no problem with it but some weeks that might overbook me doing that so I wondered what I would do if so.

In that situation, I'd probably just tell the person that I wish I could accommodate their request, but my next week was completely full and I couldn't possibly fit in another cake.

I'd advise them that I was going to still make the cake for the proper date and give them directions on how to properly freeze/defrost it.

It's tough for those of us who bake from home, we just can't pull an extra cake off the shelf and have an employee decorate it like the large fully staffed bakeries do. I think that some of our clients assume we can.

We're expecting a foot of snow here tomorrow....are you guys getting more from this storm?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 7

This is a great thread for the east coast right now - We had 8 inches in my area the other week and it made driving impossible. We have very little in the way of snow plows here due to snow falls like this are very rare. The bad weather claus is great - our governer has been declaring a state of emergency on a frequent basis. The DC/Northern Virginia area is going to be clobbered again. Makes me glad I live in Southeastern VA with our rare snow falls!

Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 7

Yeah we'll be getting over a foot tonight into tomorrow but I think it should be clear enough by Friday into Saturday when my cakes are due.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%