Ganache Out Of The Fridge?

Decorating By Anita8 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 11:04am by Anita8

Anita8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita8 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:24am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone

after reading the planet cake book I really want to try covering my fondant cake in ganache.

The only thing Im really not sure about is how long in advance I can cover the cake in ganache/fondant as I won't be able to put the cake in the fridge and it's very hot here in Sydney at the moment.

Does ganache go off at room temp? I did heaps of searches on this but couldn't find the answer so sorry if this has already been answered.

Thanks heaps.

5 replies
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:10am
post #2 of 6

Ganache will keep out of the fridge for a week or more - once on the cake it lasts a good 3-4 days, even at the current temperatures! White chocolate is more temperamental tho so I would suggest only using dark at the moment.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:11am
post #3 of 6

Yep, I agree with everything Bunsen has said!
icon_smile.gif

Anita8 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:57am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much guys.

Out of curiosity, is it because the cream is boiled that it lasts out of the fridge or is it the chocolate that preserves it?

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:15am
post #5 of 6

It's a combination of boiling the cream and the high sugar content - if you make a pouring ganache ie with more cream it won't keep as long. Also the more you work it the more chance of introducing bacteria so a whipped ganache won't last as long either.

Anita8 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:04am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so so much. You've really helped me out icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%