Help - My Ri Turns Grayish

Baking By mrsc808 Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 12:52am by antonia74

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:04am
post #1 of 8

I've tried Antonia's RI several times - always use my KA - and my leftovers start to take on a gray tinge. This sometimes happens very quickly. What am I doing wrong? I've used both C&H sugar and the store brand and it keeps happening to me.

7 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 8

Is the paddle attachment metal or coated? Is it making contact with the bottom of your bowl as it mixes? (That constant metal-on-metal rubbing can cause anything you make to get touches of grey in it, especially something that should otherwise be pure white.)

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 8

yes i agree, i once made up a very small batch of RI and it turned orange . . . i used a clean bowl and spoon to mix as it litterally was a tiny amount and i couldnt believe my eyes, It wasnt till after i washed it away, i realised the bowl had been used for cooking beans in the microwaves, Although the bowl was clean, it had stained on the inside, and that had rubbed off into my RI. now when i make RI, i do it with a handwhisk in a clean glass bowl.

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 8

A couple of times I had the same problem with the grey icing. And it was caused exactly why Antonia said - the beaters of my KA are coming into contact with the bowl. I obviously didn't fit them in properly or the icing was too thick. I threw out the icing because I was afraid there might be steel dust/fillings or whatever you call it into the icing. It had to be something like that to turn the icing grey so I figured it certainly wasn't healthy for people to consume.

It happens really quick so now I take the extra few seconds to make sure my beaters or paddles are inserted properly. And usually there is a scraping sound made by the beaters contacting the bowl.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 8

Another thought about the uncoated beater... If you let it sit in water it will get a grayish film on it and will show up when mixing the icing.

mrsc808 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:55am
post #6 of 8

Thank you all so much! I will try another batch today and mix it in a glass bowl.

mrsc808 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:35am
post #7 of 8

I made up another batch tonight in a glass bowl with a whisk and it was perfect. Thank you so much! Now I have no excuse to not practice my flood work. LOL

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 8

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%