Wasc Baking Time For 9X13 Glass Pan And Troubleshooting

Baking By Steph96 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 4:07am by Steph96

Steph96 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:32am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how long I should bake it at 325*? I tried making one earlier and I baked it for 65 minutes and the center still wasn't cooked all the way and was sorta sunken in.

Then it stuck to the bottom of my pan and fell apart when I was trying to get it out. I sprayed enough Pam in the bottom so I don't know why it stuck. The edges of the cake had what was almost like carmelized sugar on them and were really dry and the center was moist like I wanted. I don't know what went wrong!

6 replies
JCE62108 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:44am
post #2 of 7

Oh, hon. 325, not 425. When I bake a 9" round it takes around 50 minutes or so. I set the timer for 40 minutes and don't open the door until then. Then I check in on it. It the center looks liquid, i leave it alone for 10 minutes or so. When the center doesnt jiggle when I open the oven door, then I stick a toothpick in to see how done it is. As far as exact time, I dont know because Im so bad at keeping track of it. But it should take at least 35-40 minutes at a minimum.

Steph96 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:46am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Oh, hon. 325, not 425. When I bake a 9" round it takes around 50 minutes or so. I set the timer for 40 minutes and don't open the door until then. Then I check in on it. It the center looks liquid, i leave it alone for 10 minutes or so. When the center doesnt jiggle when I open the oven door, then I stick a toothpick in to see how done it is. As far as exact time, I dont know because Im so bad at keeping track of it. But it should take at least 35-40 minutes at a minimum.

Whoops! I meant to put 325.

cakesrock Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:46am
post #4 of 7

I always do mine at 300 for 20 mins, then turn up to 325 for another 20 and it turns out just perfect!

JCE62108 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 7

Also the high oven temp is probably what dried out your edges. My guess is you opened the oven door a lot, and that is why it took so long to bake and your edges burnt. I learned not to open the oven door at all until a certain time.

Good luck hon! WASC took me a bit of trial and error, too. But I tell ya, its worth it when you get the hang of it. My customers rave that its the best cake they've ever had! Its all I use now.

JCE62108 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:51am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Whoops! I meant to put 325.

Ahhh makes more sense. Well maybe you were still opening the oven a lot? It was overbaked for sure though. Just reduce your cooking time a bit. When you test it, you WILL have some moist crumbs on your toothpick. Not liquidy, but moist sticky crumbs.

Steph96 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:07am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully it will turn out right!

One more question: The recipe calls for 4 egg whites. I only have 3 eggs. All the stores in town are closed right now. Would it turn out ok if I just used 2 whole eggs? I know it wouldn't be as white, but I'm not too concerned about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%