Support A Cake Topper And Stacking....sorry I Lost My Post!

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 4:00am by BlakesCakes

JCE62108 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:16am
post #1 of 3

I asked about this a loooong time ago, but for some reason I cant pull up my post. Maybe it was too old or something.

Anyway, the cake is for this weekend so I want to make sure I do this correctly.

This is my first wedding cake that actually has a topper! What is the correct, and professional way to support a cake topper? Someone before told me straws, but Im afraid that is going to look odd and unprofessional. I was thinking of using a few 4 inch colums, but they are so big and its only a 5" cake on top. How do you guys usually do this?

Also, its a 4 tier. 12,9,7, 5. How would you assemble this for delivery? do you normally keep all the tiers off until delivery? Or maybe stack half and half so its not so much to do at the reception site?

Last wedding cake I did, it was 4 tiers and I tried to stack half and half at the reception site, and honestly I found it very nerve racking. Not only because a very experienced and well known cake decorator (turned wedding planner) was watching, but also because trying to stack two cakes on top is more difficult than just one at a time.

Am I missing an easier way? Man, I hate stacking cakes on site. Nothing makes me sweat more than the thought of screwing up when Im not in my kitchen to fix it.....and audiances sure dont help. :/

2 replies
JanH Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:50am
post #2 of 3

Here's your previous post on this subject:

P.S. Did a search using your screen name and "topper."

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:00am
post #3 of 3

If the topper is lightweight--not lead crystal or a 10" Lenox figurine--I would think that a single Wilton plastic dowel in the center of the 5" would be fine ( or 3 wooden dowels clustered near the center).

For a larger and/or heavier topper, 2 plastic dowels (or 4 wooden ones) spanning the width would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%