How Do I Fix A Cracked Cake?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 1:17am by Spectra

Spectra Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 4

I don't know why it's cracking. Just right down the middle. I did 3 layers, all in 1.5 inch pans. I never had a cracked cake before, and this is the first time I've used my baking strips. It cracked when they came out of the pan. Is there a way to fix it? I made it for my caking course. Only one level is cracked... If I fix it with buttercream does it matter what consistency? And should it go on the top bottom or middle?

3 replies
LisaR64 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:24am
post #2 of 4

When mine crack, I just use the cracked layer on top & kind of push it back together, then spread a little buttercream on top to hold it in place. My cakes are usually really moist, so they kind of weld themselves back together again.

ebredhawk Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:27am
post #3 of 4

i can't answer for sure why it cracked, but as long as you aren't stacking another tier on top of it, you should be ok. i would wait till it cools and then "glue" it back together with some buttercream.. it shouldn't matter the consistency. then use that layer as your top layer so there isn't any additional weight pushing down on it. good luck.. you should be just fine!

Spectra Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 4

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%