Love My Chocolate Cake Recipe But Need Help Tweaking It...

Baking By confectionsofahousewife Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 5:55pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone. I love my chocolate recipe because its super moist and it is chocolate but not overly sweet. My problem is that it is very moist and doesn't always bake well or come out of the pan well. It gets a little bit of a crusty area in the top center of the cake. It also doesn't rise as much as my other cakes do when it bakes, but if I fill the pan more it bubbles over in my oven. I would like to adjust the recipe so that it has more of a "cake" texture (moist with a fine crumb). The main reason I am asking this is that I have a lady who wants a chocolate Elmo cake using the character pan and I am afraid of how this chocolate cake is going to bake! Any suggestions on editing this recipe?? Thanks for your input!

2 1/3 c. flour (I use cake flour)
1 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. baking powder
3 c. sugar
5 large eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 1/2 c. coffee

2 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:06am
post #2 of 3

That recipe is very close to the one I use from Epicurious, except for the amt of eggs and butter vs oil, also Epicurious calls for some melted choc too in addition to the cocoa.

Check it out, it's a great moist cake that holds up well to carving. Since it's so similar to your recipe you may love it as much as I do.

I sub out butter for the oil called for.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much Deb! That is very similar. Do you replace the oil with the equivalent amount of butter?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%