Martini Glass Mold

Decorating By eatdessert1st Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 3:34am by milagros0309

eatdessert1st Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 17

Dominic,
do u have any tips on making on making a martini glass mold w/ the copy flex silicone? It's such an odd shape I'm not sure how to do it correctly. I'm worried about it floating in the mold. Would Anchor-dit around the edge of the glass be enough to keep it on the mat? (I'm thinking it needs to be upside down on the mat) I watched the beer bottle video (Amazing teaching video work!) and it gave me a lot of info but this is such a different shape (plus no liquid in it to keep it from floating)

Thank you!
Melanie Mc.

16 replies
MYOM-Dominic Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 17

Hi Melanie,

I am having people over for the Superbowl. I have answers for you but am in the middle of cooking a football feast. Please watch for my response tomorrow (Monday). Will that be okay?

Dominic icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 17

I haven't attempted making these yet, but loved the video and can't wait to hear your answers and ideas! Thank you, Dominic for your time in creating that video!!

tonedna Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 17

Check his You tube, he just posted a tutorial on how to make a mold
of a bottle.
http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?pi=0&ps=20&sf=added&sa=0&dm=2&s=1_6rhS5-r2M&as=1

Edna icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 17

Yep, that's the video I'm talking about. Fantastic!!

eatdessert1st Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:15am
post #6 of 17

Thank you, Dominic, for checking back so quickly. Have fun at your SuperBowl party!! Looking fwd to seeing your answers, at your convenience.

Melanie Mc.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdessert1st

Dominic,
do u have any tips on making on making a martini glass mold w/ the copy flex silicone? It's such an odd shape I'm not sure how to do it correctly. I'm worried about it floating in the mold. Would Anchor-dit around the edge of the glass be enough to keep it on the mat? (I'm thinking it needs to be upside down on the mat) I watched the beer bottle video (Amazing teaching video work!) and it gave me a lot of info but this is such a different shape (plus no liquid in it to keep it from floating)

Thank you!
Melanie Mc.

Hi Melanie - First of all you must fill the martini glass with Safe-D-Clay and trim it so that it is level with the top of the glass. You then apply Anchor-Dit to the entire, clay-filled top and put this side down like I did with the beer bottle in the video. Press to create a smoosh and wipe the excess away and them position an appropriately sized mold box over the entire project and fill like in the bottle mold video. The next step is to cut down one side with a sharp knife. To use this mold you will fill the empty mold and pour out the excess just like making a sugar bottle.

Hope This Helps,
Dominic icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 17

This would be so much fun to try to attempt, but have a question....
How long do these molds last? Or is it "how many pours" does it last?

I know, it's all about how you take care of it, but still wondered how well they hold up. Thank you.

eatdessert1st Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 17

Dominic,
Thank you So much for the tips. I'm looking forward to trying this very soon!

Melanie Mc.

MYOM-Dominic Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

This would be so much fun to try to attempt, but have a question....
How long do these molds last? Or is it "how many pours" does it last?

I know, it's all about how you take care of it, but still wondered how well they hold up. Thank you.

Hi vickymacd - all of the silicone materials that I sell are of a commercial grade and are mean't to be used over and over again. One of the great advantages that we in the food industry have over other industries is that the materials we pour or press into our molds are silicone friendly. Chocolate, Sugar, Isomalt, Fondant, Gum Paste etc. do not take a toll on the silicone. Imagine casing with concrete, plaster, urethane casting resins and melted metal. These are the materials that wear a mold out. So, if you make the mold properly, you should count on that mold serving you well throughout your career.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:43am
post #11 of 17

Wow, thanks Dominic. That's great to know! I need February to go away as I'm too busy with the kids and school right now, and want to try this out sometime. This is so exciting to try out.
Thank you again for the wonderful videos that gave I'm sure all of us confidence to try it out and expand our knowledge of this craft.

eatdessert1st Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 17

Wow, Dominic! Ya'll ship really fast! I'm looking forward to trying to make this mold next week after I find a mold box. I'll let you know how it goes....

Thank you for your tips!
Melanie Mc.

deetmar Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 17

I have made the martini glass mold and will get the tapes to Dominic this week. The glasses came out perfect! It is a big expensive to do this, but you have a mold for life. I have sent him pictures of the step by step, but will get the tapes out for him to edit.

Things that I learned, be patient, do it right the first time, be patient, Dominic knows what he is talking about, make sure you mold is equal on all sides, you will pay for it if it's not.

If someone wants a martini glass, I will make it for you at cost, if you don't have the time or money to make your own.

We are also working on sphere molds, Crown Royale, and an elephant mold. Will keep everyone posted.

iamcakin Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

t.

If someone wants a martini glass, I will make it for you at cost, if you don't have the time or money to make your own.

We are also working on sphere molds, Crown Royale, and an elephant mold. Will keep everyone posted.

thumbs_up.gif Wow, this is going to be great!!

Would you please pm me your email address?
Thx!

dozenredroses Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #15 of 17

what happen to the molds? Any pictures?

MYOM-Dominic Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #16 of 17

Hi dosenroses,

Deetmar and I have some great tutorials that we have worked on. We have an incompatibility problem that we are working out so we can share what we did. It is a problem with the video format that we have to have changed so we can edit and create a good looking tutorial. Sorry for the delay, but we will eventually get it done. Stay tuned.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

milagros0309 Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 3:34am
post #17 of 17

hi, someone now were i found molds?I need make beer bottle, and do not have time to make molds

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%