Complete Newbie -Want To Make Bug Cookies

Baking By Pickulz Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm by xiswtsawluiix

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:41am
post #1 of 6

I wanted to make some bug cookies for a party that is coming up for kids.
The theme is 'Ugly bug ball'...and I was hoping to maybe make ladybug, bees or caterpillars or snails..whatever is easiest..or maybe a combo.

Please help out a newbie here!

1. What is the best recipe to use (NFSC) and which Icing is best?

2. I dont have many cookie cutters? Im thinking i can use an oval one for a ladybug, but what about a snail or a caterpillar? Any ideas?

3. Any tips/tricks for cookies? Its for this Thursday..

5 replies
cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:58am
post #2 of 6

Wilton has a set of bug cookie cutters:

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=5267B105-802D-F658-086B6015FFE920B6&fid=5267B114-802D-F658-036667D5426790C4

I'm pretty sure that I have seen that set in Michaels, Joanns, or Meijers before. Check those places out.

Here's a couple of tutorials (recipes in there too) if you think you might want to try Glace' icing.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/12/tutorial-glace-icing-and-cookie.html

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/02/tutorial-valentine-sugar-cookie-pops.html

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:33am
post #3 of 6

if you dont want to buy the cutter set...
ladybug - as you say, oval or round will work. think that would work for bees too - you could add some extra dough at the top for a wing shape.
catapiller - id just roll a sausage and flatten it.
snail - could do a round, and stick on a sausage for the neck/ head. or roll out a longer sausage, wind it into a circle for the body, leaving a bit for the neck/head.

sugar cookies are always good - a lot of people like nfsc, i use peggy porchens recipe, but really, theres not much difference.
icing - kind of depends on the look/ time. fondant is fast. royal icing looks great - but takes time. glace kind falls into the same category as royal, it tends to be trickier to get the details in, but maybe thats just my experience levels?

there are lots fo good cookie threads - mainly look out for ones related to spreading. dont over mix is the best tip!
xx

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 6

If you don't want to buy cutters and you are not good at freehanding shapes (like me) find an image on the Internet of the bug you want and copy it onto cardstock and use it as your template to cut out the dough (once you copy from the computer you can use your printer to make it bigger or smaller) HTH

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 6

You have many options.I have good results with a tweaked version of NFSC .I use glace icing exclusively,but it takes 24 hours to dry.As for cutters you could use a heart for the ladybug, small circles put together for a caterpillar,and a flat strip of dough with a circle on top for the snail.Or do as pattycakesnj suggest. icon_smile.gif

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 6

saving this thread

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%