Fondant Drying And Cracking

Decorating By SassyStacey Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 10:16am by SassyStacey

SassyStacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyStacey Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:34am
post #1 of 6

Hello,
I am pretty new to cake decorating and just finished my third fondant cake. I am battling with getting the fondant to the size I need to cover the whole cake, and by the time I roll it out to the size that will fit, its drying out and cracking a little.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the fondant the size I need in a short amount of time?

Thanks!

5 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:58am
post #2 of 6

I think speed is also about experience. I don't ever measure, I use my rolling pin as my ruler. Once you keep doing it, you'll get faster and won't even have to measure it exactly.

* try using a cake circle as a guide, maybe it helps to visualize

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6

It sounds like your fondant is to dry - what kind are you using?
Try rolling it out with shortening and I think you will see a difference. Also it needs a lot of good kneeding so it's soft and pliable befor eyou roll it out - otherwise it will be dry and crack easily

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 6

Use shortening when you roll it out, and if it still seems dry knead it again using a little more shortening. If you roll it out with powdered sugar or cornstarch that can dry it out faster.

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #5 of 6

I use a little shortening on my mat, and after I start rolling my fondant, I smear a little shortening on top of the fondant and continue rolling it. Since I started doing that, I haven't had any problems with my fondant drying out too much.

SassyStacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassyStacey Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:16am
post #6 of 6

I am using Bakels fondant, with no cornflour or icing sugar. I am turning it often so it doesnt stick to my surface. I might give the shortening a go. I also need a new rolling pin, mine isnt long enough and is leaving lines in the fondant where the pin ends!

Will try rubbing shortening on it before I start and during my rolling next time. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%