I Need Your Opinions On A New Mixer...

Decorating By KrisD13 Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 11:57pm by julzs71

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:18am
post #1 of 18

I must confess to killing my second mixer now, on royal icing.....I am not doing a lot of cakes, but I want something that will last.

Any info you can impart about pros/cons would be a great help.

Thank you everyone in advance.

Kristine

17 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:41am
post #2 of 18

I don't know what kind of mixer you just killed icon_biggrin.gif...but I killed four or five before I got a KitchenAid. It's been going strong for a couple of years now, and I use it pretty often. It's the Artisan model.

KrisD13 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 18

Just your basic hand mixers. This last one that died, it pulled one of the beaters, that you insert, out of whack. It was sitting at quite the angle compared to the other one.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 18

KitchenAid is the only one I'll use. I've had mine for nearly 20 years and it's going strong. It whips egg whites in a snap, makes pizza dough, fondant and anything else I throw its way. I know that they are expensive, but shop around online for a deal; sometimes you can get a deal on one in a discontinued color. It'll be worth the investment; just add up the cost you've spent already on those other mixers icon_surprised.gif ....you won't have to replace your mixer anymore!

KrisD13 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 18

That's what I'm hoping for....one that will last a long, long time....like the rest of my life. icon_biggrin.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 18

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-668085-.html
I chimed in on this one last nite... I have a pro600, but have read good things about the cuisinart

MelissaAnn84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaAnn84 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 18

I use the Cuisinart SM-55C, it has never failed me, and i love it!

agconner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agconner Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 18

I have a kitchenaid and love it! I have never had a problem with it. It can cost a pretty penny but if you have a kohls card your in luck. Next time you get a coupon in the mail use it for the mixer. I got the mixer on sale and used a 30% off coupon on it!

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 18

Ditto on the Kohls Card and 30% off. Me too. Could afford the Pro then and also think it came with a bonus attachment when I got mine years ago. Can't go wrong with the Kitchen Aid. Just recommend you look at the Watts. Seems the ones they sell at Wal-mart and the discount stores sometimes don't have the watts and aren't as powerful and long lasting. Minimum to buy would be 300 plus watts. Good luck!

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 18

I have a cuisinart and I love it!!! The only thing is that they don't have the pasta roller attachment and I need it to roll my gumpaste so I went to craiglist an I got a new KA 525 watts for 100

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm
post #11 of 18

I have to KA's and I love them! Go for the Pro 600, you'll never need to upgrade. That's why I have 2. I had the first one for 10 years, never had a problem but then I decided to upgrade to a bigger bowl and stronger motor (for fondant). I recently got the Pro 600 at Kohl's. It was on sale for $399, I had a 30% off coupon code and it had a $40 mail-in rebate. Final price $240!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 18

Okay well I just had my KA delivered from QVC on a payment plan option (that was a big +)

Oh and that of course thanking Deb_, she let us know about this faboulouse deal.

I still haven't used it. I bought a smaller one though the 5qt. But it is my 1st one so eventually I suppose I will upgrade.

Just make sure you see what the colors available are I ordered mines in the PEAR color and it looks nothing like the sample on the screen icon_sad.gif

But reguardless I already love it and I still haven't seen it in action icon_lol.gif

KrisD13 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #13 of 18

I remember reading a few months ago about KA's being troublesome since they were bought out by a different company. That they were cheaply made now. That's made me leary of even looking at KA's. Any options out there?

And, being in Canada, there's no Kohl's around. I have Sears, Canadian Tire, the Bay, Zellers and Walmart to choose from.

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:40am
post #14 of 18

Anybody use their cuisinart for double batches of cookie dough? I have heard a lot of good things about cuisinart but I want to make sure it has the stones to take what I dish out! icon_biggrin.gif

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:53am
post #15 of 18

Has anyone had Problems with thier KA? I got mine 2 years a go from Costo, the Professional series. I take excellent care of it, the only thing I double up in it is cake batter, and I use all the attachments as suggested.

Mine has started to malfunction. It occilates between speeds, as if it is stuck and is really loud.

I called Costco and they said that they no longer will take items back that were purchased more than one year prior. Okay, so I called KA and they said sure they will fix it if I will pay to have it sent to them, pay a $25.00 assesment fee, and then whatever the cost is to fix it.

I paid alot for it and it's not that old. I do use it alot, but it should last longer than 2 years! Just wondering if anyone has andy problems as well.

dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #16 of 18

Just finished a double batch of cookies in my 7 qt cuisinart ... works like a dream.

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:32pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dettdunn

Just finished a double batch of cookies in my 7 qt cuisinart ... works like a dream.

icon_biggrin.gif Just what I wanted to hear!
(btw, was that sugar cookies? I make a lot of choc chip and other heavy doughs)

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:57pm
post #18 of 18

try and take your ka back. you may have been grandfathered in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%