*cough* *choke* Lucks Shimmer For Airbrush

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:52am
post #1 of 9

I just now emailed the company...but last year I got some of that airbrush shimmer stuff from Lucks. The pearl kind always had kind of a funny smell and it has not been improving...finally tonight was spraying a dummy cake and it was downright rancid. So now I'm worried that I have been putting spoiled airbrush spray on people's cakes. (Plus my lungs are hurting!)

There are no ingredients that should spoil in it, and it does not say to refrigerate. I do have a silver and gold and they do not stink. The exp. date on the pearl is not until 2011.

Anyone have this problem? I wonder what the company will say about it....its awful. I really really hope its just a smell and not a bacteria or anything...I've been using it on people's cakes just because I assumed it was supposed to smell that way...until it just got so bad I was thinking "No way, it can't possibly...." My hub and kids even complain about the odor.

Ugh. icon_sad.gif

8 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 9

Mine doesn't smell like that... That's weird!

Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 9

Its really awful...I truly think something is wrong with it and only hoping I haven't contaminated anyone in the past. icon_sad.gif

I will say that I have breathed it in and last night even tasted some of it and I didn't get sick so surely I haven't made anyone else sick either.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 9

OMG- I thought it was ME! I just ordered some about a month ago, and I swear it smells like cat urine!!!! I only used it once and went back to Americolor.............It is awful!!!

Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin-Sweet

OMG- I thought it was ME! I just ordered some about a month ago, and I swear it smells like cat urine!!!! I only used it once and went back to Americolor.............It is awful!!!

Oh really? My gold and silver didn't smell bad at all. But the pearl smells like somebody's old gym socks. But then last night it smelled like some kind of old sour spoiled something or other...horrid.

Does Americolor sell an airbrush shimmer?

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 9

The only Lucks color I have tried was the pearl- I just cant get past the smell. The Americolor is also a pearl, and its a much nicer color too. JMHO.

Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 9

I didn't know Americolor had a pearl shimmer...cool. I saw that it has a small vial of premade paint but didn't know about the airbrush. Will get that next time.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:16pm
post #8 of 9

It does smell nasty.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 9

Wanted to update that Lucks called me and asked for the batch number...they send it off to the lab for testing and sending me a new bottle.

They said they only had one past complaint and that the sample came back fine from the lab so I'm not contaminating anyone with it at least.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%