Fondant Help

Decorating By AnthonysMom Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 6:43am by madgeowens

AnthonysMom Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #1 of 5

I've made MMF many times and finally figured it out (i think). The first time it came out too sticky then way too hard. I haven't made it in a little while so I think that I may forgot but what my problem is....For my son's bday cake I made a Blues Clue dog (yeah the whole dog). It was in the playing position with its paws out in from and butt in the air.

I made it out of WASC with buttercream. You know how the recipe calls for 2 cake boxes, well I went thru 16. In the end the cake was 12' wide, 15" tall for the butt and 23" high for the head. I figured since it was so big, I would buy satin ice, add the wilton sky blue gel coloring and do it in 2 pieces. 1 for the head and 1 for the rest of the body.

Well, I put crisco on the glass table and start to knead it with the color then it starts to stick so I put more crisco and some cornstarch. I get the color in throughly and begin to roll it. Once I got it to the right size, it was starting to crack. So I rerolled it, each time it cracked. So I tried to put it on there anyways to see if I could just try to fix it once it was on. But there was no use.

I ended up having to buttercream the whole thing. This was my first time using satin ice (I always used MMF) and it was at a different home on a different table. I used to do my mmf on a formica table.

Is there a better surface for fondant? Any tips? Im planning on buying a better table because the new glass one that I got isnt very sturdy for all of my rolling.

Thanks

what do you think i did wrong?

4 replies
cakesrock Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:58am
post #2 of 5

Wow - that sounds like quite the project! But I know how a little cake can quickly become a huge cake that you hadn't planned on.
I learned (the hard way) that Satin Ice dries out extremely quickly and you have to work very fast! The first time I used it cracked on me too. It is not as forgiving as MMF. You can microwave it for 10-15 secs and add some shortening and it will come back to life. But once it's on the cake, there's not a lot you can do! You can rub shortening into it and a bit of BC in the cracks and hope it passes. Remember to always keep it covered- it does not like air!
As far as surfaces for fondant go, I just purchased one of the XL silicone mats. It was about $70 and worth every penny! It can withstand temps up to 80 degrees so can be used for sugar blowing (I think that what it's called -something I'll get into eventually perhaps) .
I used to grease the counter and roll out there - perfect, except for the potential staining of the counter when using color. Then I tried a variety of boards and nothing worked. The silicone mat is definitely the way to go! icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:16am
post #3 of 5

Go to walmart in the material dept., and buy a yard of plastic table covering, thick one....take that home lay it on the counter, have corn starch handy to powder if it sticking...and roll it out...then take the entire piece of plastic and flip it onto yoiur cake or dog or whatever you are covering. I think mmf beats satin ice big time. Maybe you just need a new recipe. hth

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:43am
post #4 of 5

Satin ice is a pain in the rear! I use it, but it works the icon_biggrin.gif out of me. I wish I could find something that worked as easy as Wilton but tasted like Satin ice. I have found that if I use powdered sugar or corn starch on a surface it makes it tear and crack worse.

madgeowens Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:43am
post #5 of 5

If its dry I rub crisco into it....but I have better luck with cornstarch than with sugar I think....I just started to use a fan shaped paint brush to dust with and that works good for me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%