It's Finally Up....my Website! Been An Interesting Weekend

Business By tracycakes Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm by pastryqueen9

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 36

My new website it finally up! I need to do alot of work on pictures and add more. Later on, I'll upgrade the gallery into different types of cakes.

It's taken a while just because we've been really busy but I'm pleased with the outcome. I would love your input.

35 replies
cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 36

i think it looks great!! your cakes are beautiful!!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 36

Congratulations! Your web site looks wonderful. thumbs_up.gif

-Debbie B.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #4 of 36

I really like the colors you went with - such a clean website. Great luck on future customers!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:28am
post #5 of 36

Your website is awesome! Congratulations.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:53am
post #6 of 36

I think it looks great! Love the colors you chose. Cool and easy on the eye. Very professional. The site is easy to navigate too. Very important point in my book. Good job!! And congrats, on the site and the business!! Best wishes for a full and happy business!

tracycakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:33am
post #7 of 36

Thanks everyone! I'm so glad to finally have it up. I have actually had the first wedding cake order that came in because they found me on the web.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 36

I like your colors you chose to go with. It offers fresh and relaxing at the same time. Easy to navigate through, and I really like the idea of only the information changing and not the backgrounds. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 36

What a beautiful site and so easy to use!

Babygrlny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babygrlny Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 36

Love your new site! It is so easy to navigate and all the information is there for your future cutomers. Great job & Congratulations!

P.S. Your cakes are also very beautiful!!!

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:42pm
post #11 of 36

I am going to say it also, great website, and extremely easy to navigate. A huge plus! Well done.

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 36

I liked your website & LOVED your cakes - especially the bed one, so cute icon_smile.gif

charliejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliejo Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 36

Great job, thanks for sharing

JoyRide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoyRide Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:10pm
post #14 of 36

Very nice! Seeing Seasons of Love makes me want to break into the "Seasons of Love" from the Rent soundtrack... lol... love that song!

menas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
menas Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:22pm
post #15 of 36

The site is great! Your cakes are beautiful! That pink & white wedding cake was amazing!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:34pm
post #16 of 36

Tracy girl...........CONGRATULATIONS!!! I love your site! You have done marvelous! Hope you and your hubby are doing great! Best wishes!

Kathy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #17 of 36

It reads very well. The colors are eye appealing. Photos are definite eye catchers and reflect your talent very well. I like the way you address fake cakes and the firm but subtle emphasis on "order early!"

I only saw one thing you might want to look at: On the home page, you say the balance is due 2 weeks prior, and on the FAQ page, you say it's due 3 weeks prior.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:21pm
post #18 of 36

Congratulations loved your site, easy to navigate, nice clean look, very professional. Good Luck

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:39pm
post #19 of 36

Pretty good - one thing, the background is a little busy - I think it would be much easier to read if you got rid of the background pattern where all of your text is and just had a solid light green background.

You've also misspelled "copyright" at the bottom.

Only other thing - it is a web design best practice and easier for people to read if your text is left-aligned. So on your menu and pricing page, you have a lot of the text center-aligned. I think it would be better left-aligned.

Good luck!

tracycakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:04pm
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It reads very well. The colors are eye appealing. Photos are definite eye catchers and reflect your talent very well. I like the way you address fake cakes and the firm but subtle emphasis on "order early!"

I only saw one thing you might want to look at: On the home page, you say the balance is due 2 weeks prior, and on the FAQ page, you say it's due 3 weeks prior.

Thanks for catching that! Hubby and I went back and forth on that.

Thanks to everyone, for catching everything and for your compliments. We rent-a-coder.com and selected premierewebdesign to build it for us. He did a great job and worked very fast. If anyone is looking to build a website, I recommend them.

tracycakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:05pm
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

Tracy girl...........CONGRATULATIONS!!! I love your site! You have done marvelous! Hope you and your hubby are doing great! Best wishes!

Kathy

Hi Kathy! Thanks a bunch! Are you going to Austin this year?

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:30pm
post #22 of 36

Your website looks great, very easy on the eyes. Love the colors. Your cakes are awesome. Great job and congratulations!

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 11:31pm
post #23 of 36

Great website, easy to navigate and very professional. I especially like your pricing page very informative for the customer, cause everyone want to know "how much"? icon_rolleyes.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:03am
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

Kathy

Hi Kathy! Thanks a bunch! Are you going to Austin this year?

Nope I can't Tracy, I have a baby granddaughter being born that weekend! I'm gonna miss you guys. Good luck to you!

ChucKles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChucKles Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:47am
post #25 of 36

Your website looks great!

The only thing i picked up that could be confusing is that on the Home page you say for wedding cakes the balance is due 2 weeks before pick up/ delivery, however on the FAQ page regarding wedding cakes it says the balance is needed 3 weeks before pick up/ delivery?

CarolAnn Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:31am
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by imartsy

Pretty good - one thing, the background is a little busy - I think it would be much easier to read if you got rid of the background pattern where all of your text is and just had a solid light green background.

You've also misspelled "copyright" at the bottom.

Only other thing - it is a web design best practice and easier for people to read if your text is left-aligned. So on your menu and pricing page, you have a lot of the text center-aligned. I think it would be better left-aligned.

Good luck!

I went back to look again and I have to say I like the subtle background print. It's a nice contrast to the solid green and is soft enough that it's there but doesn't make my eyes go wild like I've seen on other sites. The center alignment on the menu/pricing page would look better if there was something on that left side. It looks a little unfinished.

I do have one comment about your pricing. You charge $2.50 per serving for your bc cakes until you get to the sheet cakes, and then you charge less as the cakes get bigger. Why is that? The bigger the job the less you're getting paid. That makes no sense to me. A serving is a serving is a serving. You should be getting as much for the full sheet as for a 1/4. Very curious here. Your site looks great!

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:38am
post #27 of 36

Why are you charging less for your 2D cutout cakes than other styles? I would think they would be more work than non-carved cakes, so shouldn't you be charging somewhere between the regular price and the 3D carved price?

tracycakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:50pm
post #28 of 36

I went back to look again and I have to say I like the subtle background print. It's a nice contrast to the solid green and is soft enough that it's there but doesn't make my eyes go wild like I've seen on other sites. The center alignment on the menu/pricing page would look better if there was something on that left side. It looks a little unfinished.

I do have one comment about your pricing. You charge $2.50 per serving for your bc cakes until you get to the sheet cakes, and then you charge less as the cakes get bigger. Why is that? The bigger the job the less you're getting paid. That makes no sense to me. A serving is a serving is a serving. You should be getting as much for the full sheet as for a 1/4. Very curious here. Your site looks great![/quote]

Thanks! My prices are similar in price to the other custom cake shops in the area. I usually don't do a lot on them and if I do, I price them extra according to the design. I eventually want to get away from doing sheet cakes altogether for the most part.

Regarding the 2D cakes, they are priced higher than the sheet cakes and filled cakes ($2.75 vs $2.50 for 2D). Again, they are in line with other custom cakes also.

I'll probably adjust my pricing again in 6 - 9 months, especially my wedding cakes. I've learned a TON in the last 5 months.

Thanks for all your comments, compliments and critiques. I've looked at it until I'm blind while we were getting it built. I have a few things to fix and photos to update and get loaded. We are having a major snow day and I was going to get so much done. Ha! Where does all of the time go on a snow day? icon_wink.gif

CarolAnn Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:06pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

We are having a major snow day and I was going to get so much done. Ha! Where does all of the time go on a snow day? icon_wink.gif

We didn't get the snow they were forecasting for us up here. Thought my grands would have a snow day Monday at least but it didn't happen. I was disappointed. I love the snow!

Cherise09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherise09 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:23pm
post #30 of 36

Very good Job! Its very informative

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%