Getting Ready To Scream! (Long Vent)

Decorating By saberger Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 8:45am by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

saberger Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 17

I will preface this all by saying that this is my first tasting and consult, so I guess I am still learning how to handle this kind of stuff. And I welcome any guidance for future or even for this situation.

I went to her house for the consult/tasting and brought with me some styrofoam dummies at her request, as well as a plate for the tasting and some ideas for the design. She had already given me an idea of the design that she wanted (black/white theme). There was also to be some red.

Okay, so I ended up being at her house for over two hours trying to decide on the design. We did. I think it was gorgeous! She wanted me to send her a sketch, which I actually do using publisher. I put the exact image of the stencil and the images that we had decided on and everything. I emailed it to her along with a recap of our meeting/decisions.

Fine. I am only a little annoyed since it took so long, but that is the way it was. Well, after that email, she starts making all of these changes to the design. She keeps saying she wants it to look classy, but by adding all of the things she wants, it ends up looking too busy. Fine. I told her in a very diplomatic way what I thought ("it takes away from the beauty of.."), but told her if that is what she wants, then I would obviously do it.

Okay, now she is sending me 6 different ideas/changes to the design. This is getting ridiculous! How many hours does she expect me to spend redesigning the cake? I also think that she is going to be the kind that if it doesn't look EXACTLY like the cake in the picture, then I am not going to hear the end of it. I did state that no changes may be made to the design after a March 1st (event is on the 27th) - and next time I will probably state that no changes may be made once the contract is signed)....but she is driving me crazy! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I am seeing a gorgeous design get ruined AND having my precious time taken away from me because she can't make up her mind! I am afraid to open anymore emails from her because this cake design is going to change at least 100 times! She wants to know how high the cakes are (which is fine) but now I wonder if she is going to take a ruler and measure them!

I know that there will be clients like this and I have to have a way of dealing with it professionally. So, how do I deal with her and NOT have a repeat of this?

Sorry for the vent, but I am trying to keep myself from telling her to go elsewhere. tapedshut.gif

16 replies
tarheelgirl Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 17

I feel your pain! I have a bride that I'm working with change her serving amount as well as this elaborate design to just simple ribbon around the base of each tier. I've spent some time with her but not as much as you have with your bride! I usually let the bride do any changes up until the balance is paid 3 weeks prior. Good luck!

cakesbycathy Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:14am
post #3 of 17

Tell her that once she signs a contract and gives you her non-refundable deposit you will be happy to make any changes to the design she wants.

myslady Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:31am
post #4 of 17

Tell her that each change requires a new contract to be signed and let her know that depending on the complexity of the change it may change the price as well.

leah_s Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 17

"I'm afraid that I won't be able to meet your expectations, and therefore am unable to accept a contract for this order."

Yes, I have said that to a PITA potential client.

saberger Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:05am
post #6 of 17

Thanks everyone!

I did state in the contract that any changes made after March 1st may involve additional cost. And I certainly made sure that she knows that I require a 50% non-refundable deposit.

But let me ask this for those that provide sketches. Has anyone come back to you after the event and said that the cake didn't look like the sketch? If so, then what?

Thanks leah_s. I will definitely have to think about that one.

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:09am
post #7 of 17

icon_eek.gif I'm still trying to go over the shock that you brought cake dummies. Thats a whole lot of work...and you still havne't made any money or have a signed contract. I'ld go with Leah_s and walk away...before you waist any more time.

saberger Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:15am
post #8 of 17

The dummies are light and I don't really care about that. I think what is bugging me SO much is all the time it is taking to do this design and the nit-picking that she is doing. I mean, I sketched a ribbon hanging down the cake from the mask in publisher using my computer mouse and she is asking if it will flow more or go all the way down to the bottom tier or will it be curved on the second tier...." and "the dots are too small so I redid the design with bigger dots (which are now the size of grapes) but I am not sure about this...." I am tempted to ask her for the exact circuimfrence the dots should be!

And because she is SO literal, if one thing doesn't look like the sketch I am anticipating hell. Boy, this is really sucking out the joy of making this cake. icon_sad.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

"I'm afraid that I won't be able to meet your expectations, and therefore am unable to accept a contract for this order."

I'm totally with Leah on this one....she'll be the death of you if you don't stop this nonsense. Seriously.

saberger Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:25am
post #10 of 17

So, how do I say that to her since she said that she did want me to do the cake? And without losing possible biz? Or sounding like a 'female dog'?

And let me ask this: Is there a way to make sure that she is aware that a sketch is not a guarantee that the cake is going to look EXACTLY like that without me losing face?

newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:36am
post #11 of 17

Since you don't have a signed contract yet, tell her you've just become unavailable due to other obligations the weekend of her cake.

If she's this bad now, it won't get better. icon_cry.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:03am
post #12 of 17

I'm with leah. This is trouble coming down the road.

And it's another great argument on why I am glad I didn't do sketches. "THe sketch showed 14 roses and you only put 12 on there, so I think I'm due a 2-rose refund!"

Quote:
Quote:

I did state in the contract that any changes made after March 1st may involve additional cost.

So did she sign a contract yet or not? icon_confused.gif

I would let her know that "this is getting too complicated to resolve via email" and suggest that when she is more certain of what she is looking for, then you can get together "for a 30 minute meeting" to finalize the details. "If we continue to go back and forth like this, I will be forced to impose a $250 design fee for the many hours being invested in this one cake."

Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:11am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Exactly! Firm but still polite. The old "it's not you, it's me" defense icon_wink.gif

cakesdivine Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:49am
post #14 of 17

Tell her that you are booked for that weekend. That another bride has returned her contract and deposit for that date, and that fills your quota for that week.

HarleyDee Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:39am
post #15 of 17

"While you were flappin' your yap, a bride with sense and reasonable expectations handed me a signed contract and a deposit. Tough noogies"

But that's just what's in my head icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:46am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

"While you were flappin' your yap, a bride with sense and reasonable expectations handed me a signed contract and a deposit. Tough noogies"

But that's just what's in my head icon_biggrin.gif

LOL - don'tcha just wish you COULD say that sometimes??? thumbs_up.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:45am
post #17 of 17

Oh there is no amount of money that is worth dealing with a bridezilla...........run forest run!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%