Need Timing Advice For A Newbie

Decorating By anniebanger Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 5:04am by cakesrock

anniebanger Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 2

I have to take a cake from GA to FL next weekend. Cake is needed on Saturday and we drive down late Thursday night. Don't know how much time I'll have on Fri to work, so I planned to bake/crumb this weekend and freeze. Then ice and decorate on Friday.

It's a 12x18 white chocolate cake with raspberry filling. Do I fill, crumb coat then freeze this weekend, let it thaw Thursday while we drive and then BC icing and decorate on Friday? Just concerned about transporting it half finished from frozen state. OR would it be better to bake/fill/crumb on Wed? How early ahead can you bake without freezing. Was going to do MMF but don't think I have time to try something new!!

1 reply
cakesrock Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:04am
post #2 of 2

Bake and fill and freeze anytime now. I've done it up to 6 weeks ahead (about as far as I'd push). It does not taste any different than just baked to me. Just wrap well with Glad Press n' seal and put in container or 2 garbage bags and freeze. If you want to try MMF, you can do it all, then freeze using the same proces. Just let it thaw in wrappings if you use MMF. But always crumb coat just prior to applying MMF.
If you do MMF, let it air dry and hour approx after you've removed the wrapping (3-4 hours of thawing) so it's not tacky to the touch. Personally, I would travel with the frozen cake. Then you can finish whatever decorating you still have to do when you get there. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%