Non-Conventional Tastings?

Business By Shawnswife Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 12:20pm by indydebi

Shawnswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shawnswife Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone ever done a tasting at the brides home, or any place other than your shop? If so, how did you go about it? If not, would you consider doing it?

7 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, in the past I often went to the bride's house for consults/tastings. They tend to go well because the potential client feels relaxed in their own home, less pressure, also there is no issue about no shows either.

Now I only do one free sampling a month. If they want date other than the free one they pay a fee, and if they book that fee is applied as a credit towards their order.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 8

I don't ever host consultations here at my home (i have a licensed domestic bakery)

I ask them if they want to meet at Starbucks or Panera Bread or their residence, whatever they are comfortable with.

Most like meeting at Starbucks, few invite me to their homes, but those who do tell me that it makes it all the more personable.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 8

I currently do all my tastings in clients home. My stoer front is opening on March 1st, but I think I will keep going to clients homes.. I had a wedding planner tell me one time that the added service of meeting in the clients home was so appealing and to keep it up...lol... we'll see.. icon_wink.gif

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 8

I have only done 2 tastings and both were at my home. I am seriously re-thinking this and will either go with meeting my bride at Starbucks or Panera or do what someone suggested and just drop off a box of 6 or so cupcakes (all different flavors).

For those of you who meet outside of your house, how do you conduct your tastings? What do you take with you?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 8

I leave it up to the bride as to where they want to meet. Most come to my home. (even though I am licensed, I think they like seeing what my house looks like!) I have done several at coffee shops. I like Caribu Coffee - and one thing to remember is to take care of the employees there too - I always tip well, and I have been known to take in a box of cupcakes for them to try also. icon_biggrin.gif

I have everything boxed up nicely. Fillings and icings are in the souffle cups. I provide disposable plates and silverware and napkins. Everything is labeled with what it is. I stick a couple of buisness cards in there too. They have the option of either trying it there or taking it with them and tasting things on their own.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:00am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy

I currently do all my tastings in clients home. My stoer front is opening on March 1st, but I think I will keep going to clients homes.. I had a wedding planner tell me one time that the added service of meeting in the clients home was so appealing and to keep it up...lol... we'll see.. icon_wink.gif

You won't have time to continue going to clients' homes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddpuppy

You won't have time to continue going to clients' homes.

That's what I was thinking as I went thru this thread.

Packing up everything to go to someone's home .... that's a lot of work and time invested. I've done in-the-home YEARS ago, just a couple of times, and swore I'd never do it again. Too much work ... too much time. Running over to the Starbucks which is 3 minutes from my home/shop is different than running across town or to the next town to visit with a bride.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%