I Must Be Doing Something Wrong...

Decorating By ramie7224 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 12:16pm by sherrycanary62

ramie7224 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 8

with my gumpaste. I mixed a batch of Wilton's powder gumpaste mix and its weird. At first it was REALLY sticky so I kneaded it on a powdered surface and let it sit thinking it would adjust. It did a little, but was still super tacky to work with. After I made my figures they got SUPER hard and are full of tiny cracks all over the place. What did I do wrong?

7 replies
ninatat Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:56am
post #2 of 8

i made gumpaste figures quite awhile back so i can't remember if i used crisco to mix like mm fondant, i use 50/50 mm fondant and gumpaste, u used the receipt on the back of the gum tex can i also use it. don't remember but if you did add flour it would have made it really dry. sorry not much help, so i'll give you a bump

madgeowens Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:19am
post #3 of 8

if it is sticky I would add a little powder sugar....if it is getting cracks, maybe you need glucose and that might help

ramie7224 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks. I'll try adding a little glucose to what I have left and roll it out on powdered sugar to see if that helps.

catlharper Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 8

I used the same mix and added tylose to mine and it was perfect. Good luck!

sherrycanary62 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 8

gumpaste is not really suited to figures...more for thin flowers and such. I made my first figures out of gumpaste and got the cracking as well. Now I used wilton fondant with tylose added (I have also used MMF and MFF) with pretty good results...no cracking...but it does take longer to dry than straight gumpaste.

ramie7224 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 8

Also, do you have to color the gumpaste beforehand or can you paint it like fondant? I want to have a sort of two-tone look, but I don't want it to be swirled together, which is what I think I'll get if I tint it to start with.

sherrycanary62 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 8

you can paint it

Quote by @%username% on %date%