When Will Be The Right Time?

Business By Sparklycake Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 9:58pm by Sparklycake

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 6

I'm getting so frustrated..... For the past 5 years I've been doing courses and last summer got my home kitchen approved to bake/decorate celebration cakes and was thrilled.

But I have a very active year old, regulations state that I can't bake when she is up and about in the house, so I have to work at night. She will be heading to playschool in September, so this spring I'm trying to get my act together, Dummies etc. for the next batch of Wedding Fayres.

My Mother hasn't been well for the past two years and I've been caring for her also, she lives with us. But finally she started to respond to new treatment and her arthritis is easing, so I've had a little less for the past few weeks. Now she's broken her Ankle, so I'm back to square one.

I feel a bit selfish as I write this, but I'm getting scared that I might never be able to advertise the way I want to and build up my business. I know in 6-8 weeks she'll be up again, but its just starting to get me down.

5 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 6

A lot of us have kids at home and thats why you see people on here at the wee hours of the night working. The right time exist when you decide to go ahead and suck it up and put in the time, regardless of what time of day it us. Thats business. There is no "ideal" time schedule when your at home. Your hours are even worse when you own a store front. And just so you know, I have a 3 year old, 2 year old, and 1 year old. And did I mention there is also a 14 year old, 11 year old, and 8 year old that need attention in the evening, after school.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:39am
post #3 of 6

Just my two cents: there's never a right time for anything. There are different times. There are better times and worse times. And if you have too much on your plate, it is ok to wait until a 'better time'. But if you wait until the 'right time' for anything, be it marriage, babies, or cakes, you won't find it. I hope things improve for you.

Also, the last answer was right. I didn't have time to do the flowers I wanted to in the weeks before my last cake, and as I went to bed at 2, 3 and 4.30 am, I realised 'ahhh, this is what they mean when they are up till ridiculous hours. The Glamor of Caking'.

Good luck!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:10am
post #4 of 6

No real advice, but I wanted to let you know that it is perfectly okay to feel selfish!

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 6

I hope your mum is better soon and that you feel better yourself soon! I know what you mean, I have two preschoolers at home too. At the moment, I mainly do birthday cakes, anniversary cakes and other smaller orders. My youngest will start preschool in the mornings and my oldest full time school in september, and I will go to college to do a cake course too! Until then, im ticking over doing smaller orders, that arent going to have me up till four in the morning (if i did that Id be hideously grumpy the next day with the kids lol). As they get older and are both in school, then I'll take on more work, and hopefully then I will have learned lots of new skills to be able to take on the bigger wedding orders and such. hang in there, it will happen.

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for listening to begin with and for shaking me up afterwards....

To be honest I know the hours, I frequent them when I have a wedding cake and I don't mind them. In truth, I've often wondered when/if I have put in a few years of those hours weekly.... will the novelty/love of what I'm doing carrying me through as easily as it does today.

After I wrote that post I went downstairs and baked a batch of Lime & Coconut Cupcakes for ME, lol... We're still eating them.

I'm thankful to be honest that I didn't have a Cake last week, but I also know if I had I would have managed it, because I wouldn't let anyone down.

My Mom is half way through her first week, yes I'm tired there is lots more to do, but I'm managing and time will tick by. I'm going to sort out my Dummies, I'm going to get my act together and build myself a business that I'm proud of and I'm lucky that I'm here and able to look after my Mother not worrying about her whilst I'm working outside the home.

It has some advantages too, now that she has to sit most of her time, she is available to make Jig-Saws and Colour with my 3 year old, which helps me get the dinner ready etc that wee bit easier. This evening they discussed the Simpson's.

I think I just took a bit of a downer a batch of cupcakes, a sleep and a couple of days adjusting the new routine and I'm lots more positive.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%