How Much To Charge For Individual Tiny Wedding Cakes??????

Business By SomethingSweetbyJ Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 2:04am by Sweet_Guys

SomethingSweetbyJ Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 10

I have weathy family that lives 6 hours away they would like me to make individual cakes for a baby shower. I am talking with my aunt today, and I am not sure if she wants them to be tiered or not....and if she wants them covered in fondant.

What are my basic pricing points. She wants 80 of them. They live in a large city, and I am guessing that they would pay 16+ for each one if they went to a baker there.

I want to give them some type of deal, but I also know how much work this is going to be and I want to be paid for the hassle. (I do usually give family 10% off as a rule, but should I in this case?)

Please help me! What would you do?

9 replies
Price Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 10

Wow! That's alot of little cakes! I can't give you a price to charge, but don't cut yourself short. That's going to be ALOT of work! Are you a home baker? I can't imagine how long it would take me to mix and bake 80 little cakes. Then to fill each one and ice in bc, or cover in fondant! I Good luck to you!

foxymomma521 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 10

Do you have the space to store and transport that many cakes?

Doug Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 10

at least:

reg price + 20% PITA fee - 10% family discount.

so, 10% more than you'd charge by the serving.

PinkZiab Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 10

MINIMUM of $25 each and that's for a very basic design. The smaller the cake, the more labor-intensive they are to decorate. If you charge less than that, you will start to hate yourself about 1/4 of the way through the order.

indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 10

My first concern is delivery. Are they picking up or are you delivering? 6 hours is like me delivering from Indpls, IN to Chattanooga TN. icon_eek.gif That would be like $1000 JUST in a delivery fee! (per mapquest, approx 800 round trip miles x $1.25/mile.) icon_surprised.gif So if you break it down among 80 cakes, it's $12.50 per cake JUST for delivery.

If they are picking up, then it's a non-issue. Although you should clarify and confirm they have a BIG vehicle with LOTS of flat cargo space to hold 80 cake boxes! icon_eek.gif (I hear U-Hauls are kinda cheap to rent these days! icon_lol.gif )

No matter what you end up charging, it's not going to be enough. dunce.gif

costumeczar Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 10

I'm with Debi on the delivery issue...that's a lot of packing and transporting of tiny cakes, and it's going to add substantially to the stress of doing them. I'd tell her it would be at least $25-30 each plus delivery, and you should pay yourself for mileage and your time.

cblupe Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 10

What size of cakes are you thinking? If you are doing miniature wedding cakes (like Kathy Scott) they are charged per tier.

1 tier = $15.00
2 tier = $20.00
3 tier = $25.00

Then you need the little boxes to place them in plus the little cake board. Kathy Scott has miniature cake kits that are really easy to use and they make adorable cakes. Chocolate and cake - yum.

So, if you are making 80 3 tier cakes for example you are looking at least $2000.00 just to consider them plus the decorations and delivery fee.

Can I have this order please?

SomethingSweetbyJ Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:16pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you everyone for such a quick reply. For now until I can start my own retail shop, I work out of my families restaurant. Space there is limited, but there is an open facility next door with cooler space. I have family traveling to Chicago (this is where they need to go) the week before this event and they can bring them down for me. They have a large Yukon to travel with.

Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #10 of 10

I took Susan Carberry's Miniature Bridal Cake class when we had Florida Mini-Classes in January. We made a three-tier, fondant covered, fondant decorated cake that 5", 4", 3". Due to the amount of time it took to construct plus the supplies, she figured $75-80 per cake was appropriate. You could always adjust your prices accordingly if the sizes were smaller or larger on each tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%