Decorating With Meringue Icing

Decorating By Debcent Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 8:03pm by metria

Debcent Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 22

i want to try using an Italian or swiss merinque icing. Can I use this icing to decorate the cake ? or is it just and icing to cover a cake with only? Do I need to use a bc icing instead for my decorations.

21 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 22

Yes, you can use it to decorate. I suggest having more then one bag ready, as it is heat sensitve from being held in your hand.

pearlydi Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 22

I use Italian meringue in most of my cakes, this icing is great to cover your cakes is very smooth, but I use BC to make the border because it gives me more definition when i pipe. here is a picture http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1443868

rene1976 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 22

I just used Italian meringue for the first time. I found it really sticky and I couldn't get it to ice well. I also noticed it getting really firm in the bowl while icing. Did I beat it too much? What happened? Also, can it be frozen once iced on a cake? Thanks in advance if anyone knows about it

LaBellaFlor Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 22

IMBC is not sticky at all. And it definetly doesn't get firmer on sitting. If anything, it would get softer, cause of the butter. Can I ask what recipe you used?

Oh wait a minute, you said Italian meringue as in just the sugar syrup and egg whites. Hmmm, I don't see how it would get firmer while sitting, unless you don't have it covered with a damp cloth. It will start to dry out and get firmer. And, no I don't suggest freezing it. it will break down.

rene1976 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:16am
post #6 of 22

ohh, I thought that may be it...not having it covered. I used a recipe in a betty crocker cookbook. Hmmm, IMBC...never thought of that. Is it good tasting and better to work with then? Thanks for your reply!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:32am
post #7 of 22

IMBC is the best thing to happen to sugar and butter! So smooth and decadently yummy!

metria Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:38am
post #8 of 22

i tried icing a cake with Italian Meringue once ... it was not easy. After a few hours, a huge bubble formed in the side of the cake ... my first blow-out! There was no saving it because like you said, it gets all sticky.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1533231.html

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:51am
post #9 of 22

I LOVE Calvin & Hobbes and how you used to do the Snowmen. What a great cake! Love it.

And Rene1976, work fast and have it covered with a damp cloth, that has been rung out really good. you don't want any drippage from the cloth. Think of RI.

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:53am
post #10 of 22

And another thing, try pipping on the Italian meringue as ooposed to trying to putting it on like buttercream. Just use a really big tip. Much easier and cleaner. HTH.

rene1976 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:11am
post #11 of 22

man, I love this site!!! Thanks so much! I never thought it would be like RI at the time I was using and definately thought about piping it. I will try the BC type next time too.

Debcent Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 22

So back to the original post. I am trying to understand the answer--Meringue icing is not good for using as decorations on a cake, am I correct on this? Its best just to use it as a background icing on a cake?

pearlydi Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm
post #13 of 22

Yes, It's best to use it as a background icing on a cake.

_Jamie_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:18pm
post #14 of 22

I had to put my bag in the fridge 3 times on the square stack I uploaded this morning. It's all SMBC, and it's basically the same thing as IMBC. It will get runny on you from holding the bag for awhile. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 22

rene1976... what is your recipe? It sounds like you are using one with little butter in it (or none at all?). I use SMBC and it nevef gets a skin on it if it isn't covered and it isn't sticky. It sounds to me like you are using a 7 minute icing... which is just sugar, eggwhites, sometimes corn syrup, vanilla, and cream of tartar. That stuff, while delicious, is really sticky and you can't really decorate with it. Smoothing it... forget it. It's not the same a meringue based buttercream. icon_smile.gif

rene1976 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:41am
post #16 of 22

From Scratch: It is a simple recipe I found. Corn syrup, sugar, vanilla boiled then poured into egg whites. I hated it. It tasted really good but a pain to work with. Plus, I wasn't sure what it would be like if on a cake stored in a cake box. I will definately try a BC version. Thanks to all the feedback! Oh, when on a cake, can it stay on the counter for a few days? The BC version?

prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:52am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rene1976

From Scratch: It is a simple recipe I found. Corn syrup, sugar, vanilla boiled then poured into egg whites. I hated it. It tasted really good but a pain to work with. Plus, I wasn't sure what it would be like if on a cake stored in a cake box. I will definately try a BC version. Thanks to all the feedback! Oh, when on a cake, can it stay on the counter for a few days? The BC version?

Okay, that's just Italian Meringue (aka 7 minute frosting). To turn it into Italian Meringue Buttercream, you have to add unsalted butter. Just the meringue itself is great for pies (i.e. Lemon Meringue Pie) or as a frosting on a non-decorated cake (makes great swirls), but it's not meant to be used as a smooth frosting or for decorating. IMBC, however, is. I use IMBC on all of my cakes, it frosts and decorates beautifully!

crazyladybaker Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:57am
post #18 of 22

prterrell- do you use IMBC under your fondant? I haven't yet and was wondering if it would hold up to the weight of fondant?
Thanks

prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:59am
post #19 of 22

clb - yes, I do. It holds up very well and I think it tastes wonderful with the fondant, as it is more buttery and the fondant is just so sweet. I refrigerate the smooth-iced cake for at least an hour before applying the fondant to resolidify the buttercream, this allows the fondant to go on without smooshing the icing underneath.

crazyladybaker Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #20 of 22

Thanks for sharing that tip! I will try my fondant battle again later this week and use the IMBC...yes, it is so yummy! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #21 of 22

rene1976... I had a feeling you were working with 7-minute icing. That stuff is a nightmare if you are trying to smooth it... it's juts not meant for that sort of an application. It tastes fine... it's just SOOOOOOOOO sticky.

You will find the IMBC or SMBC much easier to work with to smooth. It shouldn't be left out on the counter though for more than a day. I chill all of my cakes.

metria Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:03pm
post #22 of 22

we should have a cakecentral challenge: decorate with boiled icing! when i first started researching boiled icing/italian meringue/7-minute icing, it was rare to find a nice looking cake iced with it, but there were some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%