Difficulties With Template Vs Fondant

Decorating By Antneno Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 3:21am by mfruchey

Antneno Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 9

I'm relatively new to the world of fondant cake making and in the spirit of the Super Bowl, I'm almost done another cake....BUT.....
Can anyone give me suggestions on cutting the Fleur de Lis using a template? I attempted to cut one last night from a template, but found that the fondant is too plyable. It came out looking NOTHING like the Fleur de Lis . I considered attempting to cool the fondant in the freezer, and then cut the template. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies
mfruchey Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 9

What are you using to cut your fondant? I used a card stock fleur de lis template and cut it with an Exacto knife and didn't have much trouble.

I've heard that some people use Tylose to firm up their fondant, but I don't know much about it and don't know if it would help in this instant. I'd be worried about condensation with putting it in the fridge or freezer, though.

kcassano Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 9

try letting your fondat sit so it has time to firm up a bit. you dont want it completely dry, but just a bit. roll it out, wait a little bit and then try cutting. I use an exacto knife too. just dont do it on your rolling mat, unless you want to have to buy a new one like me. argh. doh! icon_smile.gif

Antneno Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the imput! I thought of letting it sit and dry out a bit too, but by that time of the night, I was frustrated and went to bed! ARGH!
I tried a few different knives. A razor blade, a small paring knife, a steak knife, a dinner knife, with my Fleur still looking more like a stretched twisted mess. At this rate...No One will be able to tell who I'm cheering for in the Super Bowl! lol

Bakingangel Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 9

Antneno try rolling your fondant a little thicker that might help it not stretch out of shape. Is it stretching when you try to pick it up? If so, dust the surface lightly with some cornstarch and then lay the rolled fondant on it, then cut. Good luck.

sugarshack Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 9

add powdered tylose, let sit to form up some and use exacto knife. works great every time.

Antneno Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the imput. I was able to cut out the Fleur, with the fondant being a bit thicker, a card stalk template, and the razor blade....I will go out and invest a exacto knife, and if I can find any, some powdered tylose. Thanks again!

ZoesMum Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 9

Someone recently gave me the advice to put some Crisco on your blade, and it will glide through the fondant much easier. I haven't tried it out myself yet, but sounds logical!

mfruchey Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:21am
post #9 of 9

WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%