How Long Will A Cake Last In The Fridge? Party Got Cancelled

Decorating By mskavon Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 2:06am by cakesrock

mskavon Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 9

because of the snow storm, the Sweet 16 party got cancelled today. Unfortunately, the cake is DONE and ready to be delivered! How long will a 2-tier fondant covered cake last in the fridge? the party might not be until next Saturday!

8 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 9

Hmmm.I would say 4-5 days..You may be able to get away with 1 week..The fondant should lock in the moisture and freshness but that is getting a bit long..You may have to redo it.

leah_s Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 9

If you used SatinIce you can freeze it.
If it's for a paying customer, then they're going to have to buy a second cake.
I think you're pushing it to try to save it.

mskavon Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 9

It's Satin Ice. I'm going to wrap it and put it in the deep freezer i guess. I'm not making another cake. They're going to have to pay for another one. Thank goodness this one is already paid for!

Should i wrap it in plastic wrap?

thanks for the replies icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, take it apart and wrap it real well in plastic wrap then foil.

Sweetcakes23 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 9

Leah, Really? I didn't know Satin Ice could be frozen? Are there any tips to thawing a cake wrapped in that then?

indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 9

"Hello, customer? I'm sorry the weather delayed the party. Since the cake is ready and you've paid for it, will you be picking it up to keep in your freezer until next week, or do you just want me to throw it out and then you buy a new cake for next week?"

Why are you the cake storage area? Their cake .... they either pick it up or it goes in the trash. (or gets donated to the local fire station).

Either way be sure they know they WILL be paying for a 2nd cake. There are too many people who have the thought process of "but it wasn't MY fault the weather delayed the party!"

Hey, darlin', it wasn't MY fault either. icon_rolleyes.gif

SharonK1973 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 9

I have had several instances where I had to freeze a cake. In some instances it was small enough for a cake box and so I wrapped the cake box in about 6 layers of plastic wrap. Other instances, it couldn't fit in a box so I just wrapped and wrapped it completely. I took it out or instructed clients to take it out the night before the the event and just leave it like that on the counter and unwrap it the next day! They all said it was as good as new! And I don't use premade fondant. I make my own.
-Sharon

cakesrock Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:06am
post #9 of 9

I've frozen satin ice and MMF covered cakes with no issues at all - you'd never know they were frozen. I wrap in Glad press n' seal, then put in plastic cake container. If it's too big for a container, I'll wrap it in 2 garbage bags (over the plastic wrap). I thaw for a few hours at room temp (if it's cream cheese, then in the fridge) Then I take the wrap off (any condensation comes off on the wrap ) and let it air dry until it's no longer sticky to the touch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%