Best Homemade Choc. Fondant?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 4:23am by milkmaid42

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 16

I have tried Choc. MMF and MFF. I really love Michele's reg. fondant and when I made the choc. I had a hard time getting it dark enough. It seeems that which ever one that use, it seems very dry and is difficult to roll out without it tearing and crumbling. I would love to know what works best for you. TIA

15 replies
sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:10am
post #2 of 16

I just made some MMF chocolate but she said to add brown coloring.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:35am
post #3 of 16

When you add in Cocoa, take out some PS. And then if not brown enough add some brown color. Or if you're making the entire batch brown, melt some chocolate squares when you melt the Marshmellows. As far as MFF, I have never made it, so no pointers there icon_smile.gif HTH

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:12am
post #4 of 16

I use Michele Foster's with chocolate chips and brown food coloring. I also add a little glucose if it is dry. This is what works best for me.

sugarcheryl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 16

I just made some on saturday and I go ready to use it yesterday and it wasn't dark enough so I added more brown and a little black here is the cake I did.
LL

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 16

sugarcheryl...that cake is adorable! Would you mind sharing the exact recipe that you used for choc fondant?

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 16

Yes, please share. That is a beautifully dark, rich chocolate.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 16

Perfect DARK chocolate fondant. Would also love to know the exact amounts you used. When I try getting it dark I add this and that and more of this and more of that and then in the end I have a mess and can't use the fondant.

hodl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hodl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #9 of 16

sugarcheryl,
Hi, would you mind sharring the recipe you use? yesterday I made my first chocolate fondant batch and although it appeared to be very good to use at first, it was very crmbly 8hrs. later. Did you use cocoa powder or melted chocolate? thanks.

sugarcheryl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 16

I actually use Michele Foster Fondant but not the update version. I did add 6 oz of chocolate to the recipe. Do not be alarm because it will not be dark so I added some more brown and then I add some black a little at a time to get the dark color. I almost panic because it wasn't dark and I knew the colors I was using it need to pop. But I was pleased. Now I'm shipping it to my girlfriend for her birthday.

greengyrl26 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 16

you SHIP cakes? How in the world??? I get requests for this all the time, but am terrified to try it. Please share your details. Dry ice? It seems that you are a world of knowledge today! icon_wink.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #12 of 16

I would LOVE to know how you ship your cakes. Ever had any mishaps?

sugarcheryl Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:38am
post #13 of 16

Okay I just want to say I know some people have had bad experiences concerning shipping cakes. But so far I've been successful. A lot of my friends are out of town so they've asked me over and over. Now like I've shared with some I've only done selective design. I also make sure that the cake will fit that box tight. I use enough cushion so the cake does not move you can drop it it will still be fine. I only do fondant cakes. I only shipped crusted buttercream. They know that they are limited but they are fine with that. They do put a sticker fragile. I don't know if it mean anything but so far my cakes have been successful. I've shipped one like this for New Years.
LL

greengyrl26 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:05am
post #14 of 16

Hmmm....would you mind taking a pic the next time you ship a cake and show us exactly how it's packed? I just can't imagine a beautiful cake getting there in one piece, especially that bow!!! Maybe my mailman plays basketball with my packages??? icon_wink.gif

rcolson13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcolson13 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #15 of 16

I made Rhond'as Ultimate Chocolate MMF two days ago and it came out a nice dark brown on its own. I used 3/4 cup Hershey's special dark cocoa powder. It also tastes great! I won't be using it until this weekend so I can't speak for how it rolls out though

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:23am
post #16 of 16

I made Rhonda's chocolate last week and it was the cake disaster I posted in the disaster forum. It rolled out nicely, (had a good flavor), but tore all to pieces when applied to the cake. I draped it over a chocolate ganache base which I had coated with piping gel to get good adhesion. It was heck to pull it all off, (a sculpted locomotive) and I messed around with it, (some good suggestions given me by sympathetic CCrs) and tried again. Pulling it off the second time resulted in totally battered ganache and that is just the way I ended up serving it. It was a good sculpture and I only wish I had it for my portfolio, but it was such a mess. I did make a good chocolate fondant for my Dr.'s cake, didn't even have to use any food color, but don't remember how I did it--think I just modified Michele Foster's Fondant.
I didn't mean this to be so lengthy, guess I am still not over it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%