Black Buttercream Icing ... ???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm by surgery2

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All!

I have a upcoming cake I am trying to plan for. It is going to be a White buttercream iced 2-Tier cake. I want to do BLACK icing for the borders and various other piping on the sides of the cake.

Is the black Icing going to bleed over onto my white iced cake?

Any tips about using black icing for piping decorations/borders?

Thank You

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 6

It shouldn't.

cakesbyleila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyleila Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 6

I usually suggest using a chocolate icing as a base for black. It uses a lot less food coloring to get it black. The guests are much less likely to have discolored teeth using this approach! I have never had a problem with bleeding when using the chocolate as a base. Good Luck!

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 6

I had black icing bleed once, it was the only time I tried the pre-colored Wilton icing.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 6

I've piped many cakes with black and they didn't bleed. The only thing to remember is that if the icing touches the white cake icing it will probably leave a mark, so be careful when you pipe onto the white. If oyu have to change something it might require taking more of the base icing off to totally remove the mistake.

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with cakesbyleila, start with chocolate icing. I also add a bit of meringue powder to the icing, so it will set, or crust so to speak and not get a change to run.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%