Chaulk Colors

Decorating By Jealena Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 8:13pm by Jealena

Jealena Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 4

icon_smile.gif I am coloring some gum paste flowers with childrens' chaulk like I have seen on CC. Do you use some kind of liquid first to brush on the color or just brush it on dry? Do I wet the flower first or just the brush??
I want to add some sparkle sugar as well, should I wet the flowers with something as well so the sugar sticks? What would be the best way to do this?? Thank you... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

3 replies
ibmoser Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 4

Dry brush - do not wet the gumpaste or the brush. A sparkle or luster dust may be a better option for sparkle - it can be dry dusted over the chalk pigment. In my experience, if you apply anything "wet", it will both soften the dried gumpaste and "move" the chalk pigment, making noticeable circles in the color. Edible varnish would probably work to adhere the sugar, but, if brushed on in certain areas, it will affect the chalk color a bit. Maybe someone with more experience will wake up soon icon_lol.gif

artscallion Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 4

ibmoser is correct. Everything should be dry when chalk dusting or you'll end up with swirls and blotches of color. Make sure the flowers themselves are completely dry itself as well, including any areas where gumpaste glue might be. Any moisture will pull the chalk right off the brush and hold it, leaving dark patches, kind of like dusting for fingerprints.

After the flowers are colored, you can hold them in steam for a second to set the color, make it a little more vivid and give a satin gloss tot he petals. On roses, I like to color them, then steam them, wait til it dries, then dust them a little again. This gives them the velvety look that real roses have.

As for applying "sparkle sugar" over this, you would need to apply something to make it stick. I would not try this on flowers that have not been steamed or you'll just move the dust around if you apply any liquid over it. I'd test it on a sample petal that has been dusted, steamed and then left to dry completely.

I would try egg white as it will hold the sugar well, dries clear and hard, and shouldn't dissolve the sugar. I would do it very lightly and quickly so as not to disturb the dust and be careful not to go over the same part again. I have done this with just the very edge of petals, but never on the whole flower if that is what you're thinking.

You can also try dipping the freshly steamed flowers in the sugar. the moisture from the steam should pick up the sugar. I have no idea how well it would hold it once dried, so I would test this theory on a petal before doing a whole batch of flowers.

Your other option, of course, is to just pre-color your gumpaste with gel colors before making your flowers. This way you don't have to worry about anything disturbing any dust when you apply whatever you use to adhere the sugar. I would think this would be a good option considering the benefit of using dust instead of precolor is that it gives more delicacy and realism to the color. But the sugar would mask that delicacy anyway.

When I pre-color my roses, rather than dusting, I start with a base color, then add a little white gumpaste to the base for each successive row of petals so that they are naturally darker in the center and lighter towards the outside.

Jealena Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks, I think that answers alll my questions!! I will definitely keep it dry, I will also try a few colored first and then adding a little sparkle sugar and see if that gives the effect I want. I really appreciate all your help....I will post what I end up doing and how they come out. Thank you....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%