Tasting Session Booked

Business By MissCakeCrazy Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 1:06pm by indydebi

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:59am
post #1 of 7

I am having a couple coming to me for a tatsing session and she wants to see a sample of my gumpaste roses which I will do. The thing is, she has another cake maker in mind as well and she will visit both of us. How can I make sure that she chooses me and what things should I avoid doing/ saying to sway her to the other baker?

6 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 7

The most important thing is to be yourself. Present your cakes and roses and if she likes your cake and flowers she will order. If she goes to someone else she was not meant to be your client. I have clients come and take all the info and they say they are going to other bakerys too before they decide and they all always come back. Ive only had one bride that didnt and I think it was a price issue.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 7

Well, I already quoted her and she seemed happy with the price for one style of cake she was enquiring about.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 7

Hi MissCakeCrazy

Have everything made and neatly displayed that you know she wishes to see so as she will get a good idea of what your work looks like.

If she is coming to your home/work place, make sure everything is in order neat and fresh looking.
Nothing worse than going to someone who is going to make something for you and you feel as tho you have walked into a dust bowl or bomb site.

Do not speak of the other person she is going to go and see.
You and your talents are what she wants to see and know about.
Don't waste your time wanting to know about someone else...could make you look insecure and jealous.

Have your tastings diplayed cleanly - and neatly

Have your prices at the ready -
Your lists of flavours and fillings for her to read through.
Your Diary open to the day of your meet.
Paper and pens ready in case sketching is required.

Make sure everything is ready at least 30 minutes before she arrives - incase she is early - that allows you to be calm when the knock comes at the door and she won't be told to *wait a minute or i shall be back in a minute*

But most of all - make her feel as tho she is the most important person you are greeting that day - because she is........... if you want her to be a customer.

It is her perogative to consult with other *cakers* - so please, don't let that distract you from what talents you can offer hr.

All the best

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 7

Thats great. Do a nice tasting plate and I'm sure she will order. Even if she does go to the other baker she will still come back in the end.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your tips icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:06pm
post #7 of 7

I actually ENCOURAGED brides to visit other bakers. "You're about to spend a lot of money on this event, so you want to be sure you get what you want and that it fits in your budget."

One bride said, "I've never heard of someone telling me to talk to other bakers before!" and I said, "That's because I'm arrogantly confident enough to know that if you DO check with other bakers, that you'll be back!"

And she was. And I booked her. icon_biggrin.gif

(Understand that I learned LONG ago that I have a personality that enables me to get by with saying a lot of things that would be business-suicide if others said it. icon_biggrin.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%