Giant Cupcake Disaster

Decorating By caraleecupcake Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 5:09am by Anira72

caraleecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caraleecupcake Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 9

Today has been THE worst day....

A friend of mind wanted a giant cupcake for his girlfriend's bday. I've already had enough trouble with the giant cupcake pan in the past (I have the silicone one) that I decided to do it a different way this time.

I was going to stack 3, 6 in rounds and then round off the top. I won't get into details but I had everything ready last night to layer and frost together and throw on the flowers, etc this morning.... Well, it literally almost tipped over - slowly sliding to one side.

I was so mad/upset I literally was about the throw it across the room. (Instead my BF calmed me down and got rid of it for me). Good thing I was up early so I started from scratch again....

And the same problem happened!! But not AS bad, but obviously you can see it and it's bugging the heck outta me. He's about to come pick it up soon. The flowers are kinda disguising the lean, but if you look from the back.... no good!!

I stuck a dowel in hoping it will stop it from going anymore....and hopefully the gumpaste flowers are helping support it. I think one problem is I used the cream cheese frosting in the middle? Maybe too much??

Its just such a crappy day...and a blizzard is coming to the DC area!!! icon_cry.gif

Just had to vent ..... thank you ~Cara
LL
LL

8 replies
aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 9

Did you put some support in the cake? Even though they are only 6" cakes; when I stack three of them, I put a cake board and couple of bubble tea straws in the cake to support the top tier.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 9

Is there a board underneath the top cake (the dome of the cupcake)? And then dowels underneath the board? I would recommend treating like a two tier cake next time if not.
1. Bottom layer of cake + filling + top layer of cake = tier 1
2. at least 4 dowels or straws in tier1.,
3. top or "dome" of cupcake = tier 2 (not sure if this gets filled or not, guess it depends on how big it is)

Doing this will take the weight of the top cake off the bottom. Yours looks nice, but that top dome looks really heavy with all the flowers on it. If there's nothing to take the weight off that bottom cake, it can't help but sag.

Good luck!

caraleecupcake Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 9

I ended up sticking a plastic hallow dowel in, but AFTER I noticed it leaning icon_sad.gif i also stick it more towards the leaning/sligind site...do you think it can fall anymore??

caraleecupcake Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 9

arosstx - you're so right...now that i think of it, the top is sooo heavy icon_sad.gif im so sad now... i wish i realized this before my second attempt.... well i guess this is how i learn right??

Anira72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anira72 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 9

I totally understand the way you feel/felt. It was last Friday at 3 p.m. when my dog ate my chopper, for a groom's cake, due by 3 p.m. the next day and I still had to drive it 3 hours away. I do hope it didn't continue to fall but I guarantee the girl will like/liked it just the same. Love your gumpaste flowers!

caraleecupcake Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:01am
post #7 of 9

So my friend was happy with the cake! He didn't even care about the lean - thank goodness... but I'm ready for next time!!

Anira72 - oh no! thank goodness my dog has short legs lol.... how'd the cake turn out though??

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:18am
post #8 of 9

That's great that your friend was happy. Your flowers are beautiful! We always see things worse than the non-bakers getting the cakes...
I'm also in the DC area (Arlington, VA) and I'm watching the snow getting thicker. What a winter we have had this season!

Anira72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anira72 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:09am
post #9 of 9

Caralee, my cake wasn't what I wanted it to look like but the groom liked it. I have it in my photos. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%