Urgent Number "8" Cake

Decorating By gothicfairy Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm by gothicfairy

gothicfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gothicfairy Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 8

I have my first order of a cake due in 4 days for an 18th birthday. Icing the number 8 is ok but i have idea how to do inside the holes neatly. Can anybody help me please. I have looked for tutorials on the net but haven't found any. xx

7 replies
arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 8

I wouldn't cut holes, but instead make the illusion of them with a different color, like white or black depending on what color the main cake is. Your guests get more cake and it will look a LOT neater. Piping a border around it as well as the outer edges of the 1 and the eight will tie it all together.

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 8

make sure this cake is COLD when you ice it. You may need to do a couple of thin crumb coats before your final icing or fondant. I would also use a paper towel to gt in there to smooth. Hope this helps.

mrsb37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsb37 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #4 of 8

I agree about the cold cake and the crumb coat.

You could pipe the icing inside the holes with an icing bag, then use a spatula dipped in very HOT water to smooth it out.

gothicfairy Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 9:25am
post #5 of 8

Thank you for all your advice guys x

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 8

Not to hi-jack this thread, but how would you do a number 8 in fondant. On youtube they showed to cover a number and they had an 8 beside it, but didn't show they did that. Anyone on here know how this would be done?

mad-house-mum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mad-house-mum Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 8

Hi when i do a number 8 i cut some strips the width of the cake and place these inside the 0 's of the cake 1st then when you ice over it i trim the o's again and join the fondant hope this makes sense x

gothicfairy Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you mad-house-mum, I shall give this a go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%