Guitar Cake

Decorating By Young_Baker89 Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm by maimai16

Young_Baker89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Young_Baker89 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 3

I was watching Amazing Wedding Cakes on WE, and saw a cake that I know my best friend would love, a guitar cake. Her birthday is coming up soon, and I would love to surprise her with a cake that looks just like her guitar.

I was observing how they were doing everything, but they didn't show all the details I really needed. I got a fondant recipe off the internet and a buttercream icing recipe as well, actually. Now that I get to thinking about it, I don't have anything I could air brush it with.

How would icing work on fondant? Would I be better off just using regular old icing? Can you get the edible powder stuff they use from Walmart or somewhere? Also what would I make the nobs and the whammy bar (Ithink it's called) out of?

From hearing what everyone says about it on tv, fondant is a real pain in the a$$ so I don't know if I even want to use it. I've never done it, and would love to try it. I'm only 20, and I LOVE baking and decorating cakes. I thought this would be a really awesome challenge for me. icon_biggrin.gif

Does anyone have cool ideas on what to do with the whammy bar and nobs? Thanks!

2 replies
maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 3

hi youngbaker89... i did my 1st guitar cake and i'm very proud of its outcome. i uses molded chocolates for the neck and heastock. then the knobs, the one where the strings are attached to and used to adjust its tone, i used molded fondant then brushed silver dusts on it. used silver strings for the 'strings' and silver dragees for the other silver accents. you can check it on my photos to see the guitar cake i've made last dec. if you have any questions, just pm me. =)

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 3

hello youngbaker89. i already replied to your pm, but when i checked my sentbox, its not there... were you able to get it? if not, pls email me at [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%