Rolling Vs "pushing"

Decorating By dalis4joe Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 3:03pm by sadsmile

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 29

This is a discussion on my site.... this is the ??, feel free to answer here or in facebook....

As we know... when fondant use is required... we first knead and knead and knead... then we roll? push?
I personally always roll my fondant, but lately I have notice some designers "pushing" the fondant with their rolling pins...
- which one is better?
- what's the difference?

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=279234829715&topic=13108

28 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 29

I guess if you're in a hurry to flatten the fondant yuo would use more pressure when you roll it hece the pushing. However, when you do that, fondant tends to stick to surfaces and the rolling pin and you don't get it as even as you would like. just my opinion.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 29

I took a class where we used the push method. It worked very well. I was actually able to get my fondant more even by pushing then rolling.

dalis4joe Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 29

I have always used the rolling method... but after seeing someone on FN Challenge using the pushing method... I tried it in this last cake I did and was very please with how it worked... both work good but I did kinda like the pushing method a bit better... I will problably use both....

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 29

I have seen the pushing method and have tried it a time or two. I really like how it smooths out the imperfections in the fondant (it almost feels like i'm ironing it)

dalis4joe Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 29

peg818... yeah... I don't know if the mothod is called pushing... but I call it that.. but it's like ironing the fondant cause I don't even get air bubbles....

dalis4joe Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 29

Price...is it called the push method? did they tell you in your class?

Price Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 29

No, they didn't really call it anything in particular. Just showed it to us and that is the way we prepped our fondant for gumpaste for whatever we were doing.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 29

I have wound up 'pushing' my fondant. I do it on a vinyl sheet and never have had problems with sticking.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 29

I recently took a class that used the pushing method. The instructor said that pushing achieves a more consistent thickness - that rolling tends to allow it to remain thick in the center and thin around the edges. Pushing was quite a workout for me icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:59pm
post #11 of 29

by pushing do you all mean roll it out a bit and then use a fondant smoother to just apply pressure to the top of the fondant and move around it in circles to continue to spread it out?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:10pm
post #12 of 29

I would like to know what this "pushing" method is also. If I could get rid of air bubbles in my fondant when "rolling"that would be a blessing. Can someone please describe this "pushing" method or is there something on the internet that we can look at.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:26pm
post #13 of 29

What is the pushing method? If it just means that they start in the middle and roll out to the edge, then that's how youre supposed to roll pie crusts out anyway, not back and forth. I'm curious what constitutes pushing as opposed to rolling, since I haven't noticed anyone on cake shows doing anything strange recently.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:28pm
post #14 of 29

I start by rolling and finish up by pushing. I found that pushing will tear the fondant if it does not have enough stretchability.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #15 of 29

Im curious to know what "pushing method" is. Sounds interesting....

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #16 of 29

rolling: the pin is turning (rolling), like a tire

pushing: you hold the pin in each hand and just push it across the fondant; it does not roll.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:04pm
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

pushing: you hold the pin in each hand and just push it across the fondant; it does not roll.

Ha, I've always just called that "thinning it out before you roll it" icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:23pm
post #18 of 29

I'm a roller and a pusher, just depends on what my fondant will let me do on that particular day.

Price Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:33pm
post #19 of 29

I really would describe it more as sliding your rolling pin over top of the fondant using a little pressure. Too much pressure will definitely tear your fondant.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:34pm
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

Thanks I was also gonna ask for a demo lol !!!!

Thank you for clarifying .

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:04am
post #21 of 29

I roll my fondant out until I get it to the thickness I want and then I push/slide the roller over it with more pressure. I think it helps get the thickness even all across. I just started doing it one day, no particular reason, but it worked.

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #22 of 29

I do a mix of both.

I roll it out first and then push it with my rolling pin. I get a nice even surface

dalis4joe Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:49am
post #23 of 29

"pushing"... it's when you place your fondnat to start rolling it... instead of rolling the tube or rolling pin.... you push it from the starting point u usually start with away to the sides... not letting the pin "roll" over it sorta like... "ironing" you are holding the rolling pin stiff i guess... i mean... you are not letting the cylinder roll over the fondant... u r sotra pushing the fondant
I really don't know how to explain it too well... I saw it being done on FN Challenge (James).
think of when you iron, how the iron slides on the clothes... well u r sorta like sliding the rolling pin just with more force than ironing lol....
just don't let the roller turn.... hold it or grip it without letting in roll...
If you haven't tried.. u should it's an alternative and one that I found very helpful, u can combine both if u wish...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:16am
post #24 of 29

Very informative thread. I've never paid attention to how I do it, but all of this sounds very helpful and I'll be paying attention the next time I roll fondant.

Good question! Thanks for asking it!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:18pm
post #25 of 29

dalis4joe,
Thanks for the explanation. I understand exactly what you are describing.
Thanks for taking the time to let those of us who didn't know what "pushing" was know how to do this.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm
post #26 of 29

I roll to the thickness desired, then push just a little for finishing/smoothing.

dalis4joe Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:41am
post #27 of 29

thanks to all of you who tool the time... I opened the thread and I myself learned a lot from it... I think we at Cake Central have such a huge networking group that anything we have been challenged with... there is always one of our "Bestest" to help or guides us...

dalis4joe Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:33pm
post #28 of 29

I will do a demo on you tube and try to post it here.....

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:03pm
post #29 of 29

I roll er a push while rolling, but that's not actually pushing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%