Dartboard Cake - Logistics Question

Decorating By rcolson13 Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 1:48pm by rcolson13

rcolson13 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 8

I've been asked to make a dartboard cake. The customer wants it as close to a real dart board as possible so the cake will be 16" in diameter. What's the best way for me to get this design on the cake given my little experience? I'm pretty new to cake decorating (only 10 or so cakes under my belt, but I have worked with royal icing, fondant and FBCT). I was thinking an FBCT might work, but I don't know if it's wise to make one as big as I need it.

While I'm posting, I was also wondering if icing with cream cheese in it has to be refrigerated. I'm thinking that might dry out my cake

Thanks!
LL

7 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 8

I look at that and it screams fondant to me for a really clean, sharp look.

I'd put down a layer of black fondant for the outer circle, then a layer of white for the inner circle with the triangles. etc. I'd extrude gray "lines" and white numbers and piece in bits of red & green.

I, personally, would be very leery of a 16" FBCT.

HTH
Rae

mrsb37 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #3 of 8

Fondant all the way. No question.

Yes, you should refrigerate Cream Cheese icing.

rcolson13 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:35am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I look at that and it screams fondant to me for a really clean, sharp look.

I'd put down a layer of black fondant for the outer circle, then a layer of white for the inner circle with the triangles. etc. I'd extrude gray "lines" and white numbers and piece in bits of red & green.

I, personally, would be very leery of a 16" FBCT.

HTH
Rae

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you talking about having two layers of fondant with white underneath the black? Would I hand paint the white fondant the red and green?
Yeah a 16" FBCT would probably be a little much huh icon_rolleyes.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 8

You could do it any way that is most comfortable for you.

You could do a black out ring with a large white circle in the center and them just apply the black triangles. IF you wanted them to be all the same level, you could also put in white triangles. You could paint the red & green, or insert small fondant cut outs.

Depends on how much cutting & piecing you want to do vs. painting.

Rae

rcolson13 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #6 of 8

I'll probably try cutting out sections in the white and inserting black fondant, then hand painting. I'm a little hesitant because it's a new technique, but it'll be great to learn it! Can I still extrude white pieces if the fondant is over buttercream as long as the fondant has not sat too long?
Painting is another new technique for me. I can mix the food coloring with vodka or extract right?

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolson13

I'll probably try cutting out sections in the white and inserting black fondant, then hand painting. I'm a little hesitant because it's a new technique, but it'll be great to learn it! Can I still extrude white pieces if the fondant is over buttercream as long as the fondant has not sat too long?
Painting is another new technique for me. I can mix the food coloring with vodka or extract right?

Just my take, but:

Always easier to apply on top of rather than to cut out and fit in a new piece.

???Extrude what white pieces--the numbers? If the fondant has dried on top, you can brush on a bit of water before applying the extruded piece.

You can mix gel/paste colors (Wilton, Americolor, Chef Master) with clear drinking alcohol (gin, vodka, EverClear, etc.) or lemon extract (high alcohol content) to paint. Other extracts have too much water/not enough alcohol and leave things tacky & don't dry well.

Rae

rcolson13 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 8

I think I used the wrong word lol. I thought extrude was when you cut out the fondant and replace pieces with different colored pieces of fondant. I'll try it in fondant, and post the results. Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%