Imbc With Shortening ??

Baking By LuvLyrics Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 6:17pm by tinygoose

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 5

I leave in South Florida and even now in "winter" we are getting temps of 85 f..I will be making a cake for a friend's daughter and I will be using IMBC. I always make it with butter, but I've heard that it could melt away b/c of the heat...now to my question....

Should I add crisco and if I do, what will the ration be?? I know many of you have been working with IMBC and love it, please any advice would be helpful ...also can we make a sticky on IMBC just like the other buttercream we have here...

Thank you
Anna

4 replies
tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 5

I add sweetex (shortening) to SMBC when the weather gets to hot. It's not humid where I am, but we do get some hot summer days. I usually sub about 1/3 (or a little less) of the butter for shortening on days when I'm expecting really hot weather, or coloring the icing a deep color. That usual works for around 80-85 degree weather, but still don't put it in direct sunlight.

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 5

I'm in Hawaii. I use SMBC all the time. I've found that so long as the meringue is firm I have no problems. I always use butter. While it is humid here, our temps don't usually go above the mid-80's. And as tinygoose said ... no direct sunlight.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much ladies, I told my friend to make sure she keeps it under the shade...

Tinygoose...how is sweetex different from crisco?

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%