Cookie Wedding Cake Favors Timeline Daughter's Wedding

Baking By Phyllis52 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 11:30am by Phyllis52

Phyllis52 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 13

I apologize if this is long, but I could use some help. I've tried to look at the other timeline forums and have a few more questions.

I will be making 200 of those Cookie Wedding Cake favors (only 3 cookies each though at 1/2" each), so I'll need 600 cookies. Now the wedding is in NY on a Saturday and I'm in PA. We'll be leaving for NY on that Thursday.

I will be putting Satin Ice fondant on them with an impression mat. Can someone guide me as to when I could bake them and freeze them. I have frozen cookies with fondant and it tastes good to me, you think I could do it again? Or should I just freeze the dough and bake them fresh the weekend before and put them together and box? I'm not sure which way to go and thank goodness some friends said they will help me.

It was a good idea when I said it, but now I don't know..... icon_cry.gif

I would appreciate any help and I will post pictures when I finally get them done.

Thank you all.

12 replies
prterrell Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 13

Bake them ahead of time and freeze them. Then pull out a few at a time to decorate and refreeze. They'll be fine for the wedding.

Phyllis52 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks pterrell,
Do you think I can do it about a month or so ahead of time? I figured I would freeze them with the fondant, take out a few days ahead, put together and add my gumpaste flower then box up? Usually I know what to do, but I think the volume of it is worrying me. And knowing that I have to have them done about 5 days before is another worry. Grrr, why can't she get married in PA?
I guess I'm just worried because I've read on CC that some people say that freezing affects the freshness (not to me, but it is for a wedding).
But by the time they get to the favor, they will have had a few drinks anyway!
Thanks for your help.

prterrell Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 13

I bake so much at Christmas, that there's no physical way to do it all right before assembling trays/baskets. I generally start baking right around the first with things that can be frozen. I've yet to have a complaint from someone who's eaten one of my previously frozen (for several weeks) sugar cookies. icon_biggrin.gif

If you really push it, you should be able to get them all baked in 1-2 days (of solid mixing, rolling, cutting, baking). The decorating is the part that takes the longest. If you can get them all baked and in the freezer, then you can pull out however many you think you can do in a session, deco them, and then pop them back in the freezer. Just make sure there's plenty of room for any condensation to evaporate when you pull them out after having deco'd them and that they're fully thawed before applying the gumpaste flowers.

Phyllis52 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks again pterrell,

That is exactly what I'm looking for. For some reason, this is flooring me, but you told me exactly what I should do.
I appreciate your info so much and I feel relieved. icon_biggrin.gif
I knew I could count on CC members.

luv2bake6 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 13

Another option is to bake them all and put the fondant on them. Then freeze. A few days before, defrost and decorate, package and off you go. I don't like to defrost more than once so this is what i'd do. Good luck to you!

Phyllis52 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you luv2bake6!

I feel so much better after hearing from you and pterrell that I can freeze them.

luv2bake6 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 13

I've done the same with RI and glace with the same success.

Phyllis52 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 13

That's good to know.

I'm also going to buy a Dobord after hearing how everyone loves it.

Thank you all.

vickymacd Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 13

Phyllis52~ I can't even imagine taking this on, so I'm just here to say
Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you.

I freak out about making a small cake for family!
Good thing there are such professionals and good people on CC!

Phyllis52 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks so much for your well wishes. I figure if I can do this ahead of time and I have a lot of friends to help, I should be okay.
I'm also making an italian cookie tray, so there will be more freezing, but most of them are drop cookies or biscotti, etc.
Thanks again.

mrsc808 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:01am
post #12 of 13

Phyllis, I am in the same boat! Actually I think I'd rather be in your boat. icon_smile.gif I have 500 wedding cake cookies to do. I've read that you shouldn't freeze the fondant (am planning on using mmf) but it seemed fine to me so I am baking and covering, then freezing. The week of the wedding I am going to stencil/paint them (sample in my pics) and bag them, then fly out on Friday for the Saturday wedding. Good luck to you!

Phyllis52 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:30am
post #13 of 13

mrs808 -
I just looked at the picture of the favor - just beautiful. But I can't imagine doing 500 like that! That's so labor intensive with the stencil. Best of luck to you.
Please let me know how things went.

Quote by @%username% on %date%