Help! She Wants "babies" On A Birthday Cake???

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 7:48am by noahsmummy

poohsmomma Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 18

Okay, ladies and gents, I need some ideas. My niece has asked me to make a 2nd birthday cake for her daughter. The little girl loves her "babies" so that's what they want on the cake.
How do I make this cake so it does NOT turn out like a baby shower cake.

Help! ....Pretty please.

17 replies
rainbow_kisses Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 18

Could you model the 'babies' to look like ragdolls? or add more toys to make it look like a toy box?

CristyInMiami Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 18

thats what i though. Add more toys, maybe at the bottom, and make her toys the main ones on top. icon_surprised.gif)

floral1210 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 18

Maybe using primary colors would take the "baby shower" look away. Another suggestion...you have on your gallery "Ayva's Ballerina Cake". I think using that look, and substituting "babies" posed around the tier rather that the ballerina might do the trick...

poohsmomma Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 18

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

"floral"-it's funny you mention Ayva's ballerina cake in my pix...this child is Ayva's little sister!

floral1210 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 18

Well, that is a beautiful cake. Ayva's little sister will be lucky to get a gorgeous cake, too!

poohsmomma Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks Barbaranne for the links. I think they will help.

dandelion56602 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:14am
post #9 of 18

How difficult would it be to sculpt her favorite baby? I was thinking something similar to the one others suggested. But maybe a flat "2" in gumpaste and one or two babies propped up against it. Some big polka dots or stripes w/ luster dust (less shower like). Or maybe incorporate designs from the clothes of the babies. Another idea is a fondant girl holding her baby and maybe dragging another behind her, playing "dress up" with her dolls, or putting them down for naps. These all describe what my 2 year old does with her babies

poohsmomma Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks, dandelion, more good ideas.

gscout73 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #11 of 18

Just no babies with mohawks riding carrots... those of you who know cakewrecks know that I'm talking about. thumbs_up.gif

Sandy

gscout73 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:36am
post #12 of 18

For those of you who have no idea what I was referring to, here is the link. Go to the bathroom first because it is soooo funny.
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/06/naked-mohawk-baby-carrot-jockeys.html

Sandy

poohsmomma Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:04am
post #13 of 18

Oh, I love Cakewrecks! I get their daily update, and it always makes my day!

dandelion56602 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:13am
post #14 of 18

I've not visited the site in soooo long. I laughed sooooo hard I couldn't breathe & was crying. What some people sell---but people BUY it. I have to say I probably would just to have a GREAT laugh w/ my family!

gscout73 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:15am
post #15 of 18

I have to admit that site has me taking a closer look at store cakes. I've been on the look out for wrecks to send. I've not found any so bad that they deserve recognition... but I'm not giving up... where this site gives tips and pointers on how to do things right, that site shows what NOT to do. So when the request came for ideas on a baby cake.... I could not help myself.

Sandy

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:41am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Just no babies with mohawks riding carrots... those of you who know cakewrecks know that I'm talking about. thumbs_up.gif

Sandy

Thats hilarious! Cause when I saw the title for this post that was the FIRST thing that popped into my head icon_smile.gif! I heart cake wrecks!

I second, third whatever the toy ideas! Loved the idea of the dragging the baby dolls. That or if you're up to a 3D cake you could do a 3D replica of a baby doll/rag doll look icon_smile.gif

ayerim979 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:48am
post #17 of 18

Well I had never even heard of CAKE WRECKS its too funny.

noahsmummy Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:48am
post #18 of 18

ohmygosh. funny stuff. turns out im not the worlds worst cake decorator after all. hahahahaha. loving the cake "fixes" the shmeer is definantly my fav. lolol/.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%