Wilton Fondant Rancid?????

Decorating By cakeaddictunite Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 10:20am by Caths_Cakes

cakeaddictunite Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 18

I opened a pre-colored pack of wilton fondant in the light brown last night and the smell I got was almost a mix between vinegar and marker. My DH asked if it was rancid.

I tasted it. It tasted ok - not yummy like MMF but it was ok. Is this normal? I have a cake to do on the 13th and was gonna use it to make a tree stump - definately won't be eating it!! Just for decoration. tapedshut.gif

17 replies
peg818 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 18

How could you tell, if the fondant was bad?? Its so horrible to start with.

I would think as long as its not moldy its probably ok, just use for deco and tell them its not edible.

dalis4joe Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 18

I would not use it... even if just for decoration... you know it smells funny... it would just be bugging me knowing that it doesn't smell right....

TitiaM Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 18

That's just what wilton fondant smells like--you can use some flavor oils in it if you want to try to improve it. The stuff is disgusting.....

dsilvest Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 18

Contact Wilton with your concern. Who know you might get something free.

lyndim Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 18

I use wilton fondant only for decorations, and it never smells like what you described. I would take it back and get a new batch. icon_confused.gif

3GCakes Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:24pm
post #7 of 18

It definitely does have a weird smell which may be more appalling to one person than the next. I think gumpaste smells pretty appalling, too.

I doubt that it is bad, but I'd return it to the store and see if you think the new stuff smells the same.

I've had fondant open for a year and forgot about it. It didn't turn rancid, it just got hard.

cakesbycathy Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 18

While I'm sure it's possible that you got a bad batch, Wilton fondant smells and tastes terrible. Really, there's no way to tell the difference.

TitiaM Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 18

Yeah, I think it smells like rancid oil and some kind of nasty chemicals--and that's the plain white, I doubt the colored stuff is better. (I am, however, very sensitive to smells)

Kimmers971 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 18

Any Wilton fondant I've use never had any smell. Go to Wilton's site and report it, they are very good at responding (and sending freebies). Also take it back to where you bought it for a replacement/refund.

costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 18

How can you tell if the Wilton fondant is bad? It's always bad.

cakeaddictunite Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:11am
post #12 of 18

Thank you everyone for your honest opinion and your suggestions..I sent Wiltons a email about the problem...
Guess I get to make my stump outta MMF (darn I love that stuff) *reminds me of those choc. covered bon bons in the paper bags icon_lol.gif

dalis4joe Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:32am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeaddictunite

Thank you everyone for your honest opinion and your suggestions..I sent Wiltons a email about the problem...
Guess I get to make my stump outta MMF(darn I love that stuff)*reminds me of those choc. covered bon bons in the paper bags icon_lol.gif

I think that's good you decided to contact them... I use mostly satin ice but if I'm out of it and need some asap I will run to walmart & get wilton but I have noticed any bad smell with fondant..

I don't think it smells yucky... I don't like the taste too much but I was just saying cause you know when you think something is wrong or not how you would have wanted it on a cake you are doing... It stays in your head the whole time you are dealing with that order... so just for your easy of mind...

Well... MMF is super YummY!!! so good4u!

3GCakes Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:34am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeaddictunite

Guess I get to make my stump outta MMF(darn I love that stuff)*reminds me of those choc. covered bon bons in the paper bags icon_lol.gif

I think that's good you decided to contact them... I use mostly but if I'm out of it and need some asap I will run to walmart & get wilton but I have noticed any bad smell with fondant..

I don't think it smells yucky... I don't like the taste too much but I was just saying cause you know when you think something is wrong or not how you would have wanted it on a cake you are doing... It stays in your head the whole time you are dealing with that order... so just for your easy of mind...

Well... MMF is super YummY!!! so good4u!

I agree, that I don't think Wilton Fondant is too appalling NOT to use. I buy Satin Ice when I need black, but otherwise, I use Wilton

I don't cover too many cakes with fondant, except for my own family's...so.. taste isn't too much of a concern since texture is the main turn-off factor.

I use Wilton (and a 50% off coupon....ALWAYS) for any modeling, appliques, painting, etc......After making white choco IMBC for all my cakes, I don't have the time or care to to make my own fondant.

cakeaddictunite Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:41am
post #15 of 18

I'm grateful the cake is for my daughters 5th b~day. I was gonna use some also to make a Tommy~gun for another cake towards the end of the month but def. not now!!!! It will just give me another excuse to drag out my KA~wooohoooo!!!! icon_lol.gif

Jeep_girl816 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:53am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

How can you tell if the Wilton fondant is bad? It's always bad.

Yeah that was my thoughts before I even read the post!!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:56am
post #17 of 18

I used Wilton on my first few cakes....then switched to Satin Ice after my own daughter complained about the taste of the fondant. I've used Satin Ice ever since...until this week I ran out and had to use some Wilton on a cake.... I was thinking the whole time about how bad the stuff smells.... it doesn't smell edible! LOL. I think it's just after you get used to the MMF smell, it seems to highten your since of the bad smell that Wilton has!

Caths_Cakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:20am
post #18 of 18

im from the uk, so ive never had the pleasure of using wiltons fondant lol, however, i was given a big magazine by Wilton on fondant decorating a while ago by a friend and after reading these messages, i am sooo interested to know what it actually smells like lol, anyone know where i can buy a small amount? Off topic i know lol

To op, If your worried, i wouldnt use it just to be on the safe side.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%