Hats Off To All You Fondanters. Ugh Folds!

Decorating By grams Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 5:46pm by AverageMom

grams Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 7

I just finished my lipstick cake for for my granddaughter. What a lot of work to cover with fondant.
I tried everything I've read and seen on the subject of covering with fondant and still had folds in the fondant. I chilled the cake, let the buttercream crumb coat crust and not too thick, worked the fondant down from the top with the side of my hand and pulled out on the bottom rufflely part as I smoothed it down around the sides.
Does thicker fondant work better for smoothing out wrinkles? I was afraid I didn't have enough fondant so I rolled it to about 1/8 th of an inch thick.
My bottom tier was 6in diameter and 6 in tall, middle 5 in diameter and 6 in. tall. An 18 in circle has alot of fullness to get out.
Any suggestions for my next try at fondant?

6 replies
brincess_b Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 7

was that your first fondant cake? looks really good to me! it takes a lot of time and practice to really get to grips with covering cakes with fondant.
just keep applying the techniques (lifting, working your way round, using smoothers - and be generous with you fondant allowance! thats always my problem too icon_smile.gif )
thicker or thinner, i think you still get problems, and int he end, that too comes down to what you find easier to work with, so its your preference.

julzs71 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 7

I think your cake looked awesome.
Did you put your cake ontop of something to let the fondant hang past the bottom of the cake? That for me was is the easiest. I don't get wrinkles after I did that.
Hope that helps.

julzs71 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 7

Oh and I use thin fondant.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:18am
post #5 of 7

That actually looks to me like something scratched the outside surface of the fondant after you put it on. It looks great by the way icon_biggrin.gif When you paint it, all the flaws will show up.... just make sure when you are rolling it and applying it to the cake that you are really careful not to damage the outside. Love the cake... my girls would go nuts!

ladybug76 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 7

Looks great!! For myself, I used to raise my cake up so the fondant would hang, then use scissors to cut off excess, but I found my fondant would tear (sometimes) at top of cake (where it bends to go down sides). Now, I roll my fondant circle bigger than my cake, use a smoother to smooth top of cake first, then section by section go down the sides by creating a crease at the base. This is hard to explain, but works great!! Also, be sure not to over fill the cake so it won't bulge on the sides... and allow cake to settle overnight after filled and crumb coated. HTH!!
~~ jAIME

AverageMom Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 7

It's easier to do a shorter cake. The taller the cake, the harder it is, in my experience. Keep at it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%