Need Help On A Slippers And Pipe Cake

Decorating By wevskysgirl1 Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 5:59pm by wevskysgirl1

wevskysgirl1 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:21am
post #1 of 5

hi all , im new to cake decorating , i want to make a slippers and pipe cake for my husbands birthday as he keeps saying he's getting old lol , im not sure if i should go life size with the slippers as individual cakes and make a fondant pipe , or if i should make tiny slippers and pipe and put them on a simple square or round cake .
any help much appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Renaejrk Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 5

It depends on how comfortable you are - but at least it's for your hubby and not a client, so you could get away with imperfection - lol! Slippers wouldn't be too difficult, if you are comfortable with carving and covering odd shapes with fondant. Otherwise, I would do a round and make small ones out of fondant.

dandelion56602 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:33am
post #3 of 5

Now is t time to PRACTICE! I always challege myself on dh's cakes and do a technique I haven't done (like this coming week!). It's great. I learn something new, what I would do different, how long it would take for someone else's cake, updates my portfolio. And if it flops (like my first topsy turvy) it still tastes good I learned and he doesn't care icon_smile.gif. Shoot for the stars!

kjt Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 5

Hi, and welcome to CC!

I agree with dandelion - what a great time to practice.

If you decide to make the larger sized slippers, bake your cakes in an oval pan, then you have a good start at the basic shape.

Good luck with your cake, happy birthday to hubby, and

Happy Cakin' icon_biggrin.gif

wevskysgirl1 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 5

thanks guys thumbs_up.gif , i think im going to go big and bold lol ..... and it means i have a ready made excuse to go shopping and get some more cake decorating stuff as im working with the bare basics .. well thats my excuse lol
plus its more experience and you can never have enough of that icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%