Covering A Cake With Ganache

Decorating By suzied Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 11:29am by suzied

suzied Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:42am
post #1 of 3

Can i use chocolate buttons to make ganache or do i use the cooking chocolate slabs. Also do i use only dark choc or a mixture of dark choc and milk choc. Also can some one tell me please whether its best to pour the ganache over OR applying it with a spatula is better so that i can fill in any dents in the cake, as i have to cover the cake with fondant . Thank you - all

2 replies
MissCakeCrazy Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:10am
post #2 of 3

If you are making ganache, I would use the proper good quality chocolate with at least 70% coco solids (this will help the ganache to set whereas Chocolate buttons does not contain that percentage cocoa). Whether you use dark or a mixture of dark and milk choc is up to you according to your taste. I use both, I usually use slighly more dark choc than milk. I have done this only once when spreading on a cake before covering with fondant and I made a mistake of leaving the ganche in the fridge for too long as it was difficult to spread. If it does set too hard, put over a bowl of hot water and wait for it to melt. I am not sure how it would be if you were to put the ganache straight onto the cake as soon as it is done. You have to make sure that it is not too soft as it will run and lose the flawless shape you are trying to make. You should use ratio of 2:1 chocolate to cream.

suzied Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:29am
post #3 of 3

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%