Edible Varnish

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm by Rusti

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 14

Help, I'm making a jose cuervo bottle cake and I was trying to use the edible varnish, the one made with gelatin and corn syrup. I warmed it up and when I try to brush it on it rolls up. Help! has anyone else used it? What am I doing wrong?

13 replies
paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:07am
post #2 of 14

no one out there has an idea?

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 14

I've read on here that you can use a 50/50 mix of vodka and corn syrup. Never tried it myself. Hope you find the help you are looking for.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 14

It can't be just warm; it has to be hot. I heat it in a sauce pot that retains heat so that it stays hot for a long time. Otherwise, it cools quickly and starts to gum up and roll up on itself.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 6:06am
post #5 of 14

i just tried making edible varnish today and i got a lot of bubbles. is there any way to reduce the amount of bubbles while making it?

metria Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 6:25am
post #6 of 14

hehe, i have to show yall this ... i'm trying to make fondant look like a bowl of ramen:

fondant bowl + fondant extruded noodles + edible varnish soup + brown food coloring

it's those darn bubbles, though! help me perfect this!

artscallion Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 14

How did you make the varnish, metria? I have no bubbles at all when I make it. I use this recipe...

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7292/edible-varnish

BTW, very cute idea!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 14

Has anyone tried the 50/50 mix of vodka and corn syrup? Can you airbrush that on a large area, or do you really have to brush it on?

I think that would work well instead of using the geletan hot... if you use it hot, won't that just melt the fondant underneath it??

BTW metria, I LOVE your ramen noodles!!!!!!!

artscallion Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 14

No, the hot mix didn't melt the fondant at all when I've used it.

My question on the 50/50 recipe is does it dry to a touchable finish? or a tacky finish? I worry that anything that doesn't dry completely touchable, will lose its gloss as dust and PS in the air settle on it.

artscallion Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 14

Another question re the 50/50...what kind of finish do you get? the gelatin mix gives you a glass/patent leather finish. Is the 50/50 more of a wet look, or is the gloss really glass-like?

metria Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 14

Yup, i used that recipe (http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7292/edible-varnish), but in a larger quantity:

2 Tbs (2 packets) of gelatine
6 Tbs water
2 Tbs corn syrup

Aarrgg...last night it looked almost perfect, but this morning ... looks like the varnish softened up the fondant. My bowl is now almost ripped in half. You can see the real bowl I have underneath it for support. Gotta figure something else out, I guess.

If I can somehow make the inside of the bowl ... water-proof? Maybe line it with RI?

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:29pm
post #12 of 14

metria - royal icing breaks down with water.... whenever i have a little left over in a plastic container, or my utensils have RI on them I soak then in water.... I dont think that would work.... icon_sad.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:52am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

Has anyone tried the 50/50 mix of vodka and corn syrup? Can you airbrush that on a large area, or do you really have to brush it on?

This member had great success with it: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654790.html

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 14

Yes, I used the corn syrup and vodka for my pointsettia and holly berries on my Christmas cake and loved the effect, shiny and not sticky after it dried and it was very easy to make. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%