Help!! Do I Need To Rebake???

Decorating By ZoesMum Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 1:08pm by ZoesMum

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:58am
post #1 of 3

Hello everyone! I've recently started using some of the cake mix extenders I've found here, and the last couple of ones have been kind of, well, gooey, for lack of a better word. The one I baked today was in 9X2" pans, a little over half full with batter, were in at 350 for almost 50 minutes.

The toothpick came out clean, they felt done, and were starting to pull away from the sides (though I read somewhere that this meant they may be getting over done??). So out they came, but they settled down a lot when the cooled and seem very dense and almost too moist...hence my gooey description!!

The hubby tried it and declaired it tasty and moist, but I'm nervous that it isn't goint to taste good when it is all put together...we are only tasting the top cuts...what if it is too moist/goey in the middle??? Argh!!! Anyways, I've babbled enough...if anyone can let me know if they have had a similar experience and did the cake end up tasting OK???

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #2 of 3

I haven't found that the extender or enhancer recipes in the CC recipes section make for a gummy finished product.

Which recipe did you use (either provide a link or the complete recipe name).

The WASC cakes (the Original by kakeladi and Rebecca Sutterby's versions) both yield moist but certainly not gooey cakes.

However, I've observed that when some members say "moist" they really do mean "gooey" as in fudge brownie consistancy... So it would stand to reason that the recipes they like would be somewhat "gooey."

If you definitely want to know if the centers are cooked, just torte them. (Don't think there's a down side to having more frosting or filling in a cake.)

HTH

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your response! I used the Amazing Lemon Cake mix extender http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7371/amazing-lemon-cake-from-a-mix. It does seem a little closer to brownie, so maybe it is as it is supposed to be! I did torte, and is doesn't seem uncooked from what I can tell, just very, very dense and moist. I guess I'm just used to a "fluffier" cake, and am concerned that I did something wrong with this one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%