Indentless Fondant

Decorating By Trance Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 2:53am by ZoesMum

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone give me the secret to covering a cake in fondant without indents or bumps. I've tried filling and crumb coating with cold cakes and cakes at room temp. and I just can't get the sides smooth.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance...
Trance

6 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 7

Practice. You have to pretend your tier is NOT going to be covered in fondant. Get it is as perfect as possible before you put the fondant on. No bumps pre-fondant...no bumps post-fondant. Work with a cold cake (not cool, not in the freezer for a few minutes, but cold. chilled thru. in the fridge for 1 hour or longer.

Roll your fondant to 1/4 or even 1/16th (that's what I do) thin. Use two fondant smoothers at once. Practice and practice some more. Trust me. I do not tolerate the slightest of indentations, bumps, air bubbles or anything else. icon_smile.gif

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for your help...I just pulled off the fondant and going to try icing it again then stick it in the fridge for about and hour and then recover using all your helpful hints..
Keeping my fingers crossed! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks again!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:29am
post #4 of 7

How thin are you rolling your fondant? Make sure you don't roll it too thin, and the icing under the fondant makes a difference too, make sure the icing is smooth first... if it has any bumps, the fondant will too.

Anita8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita8 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 7

Sorry if this is a dumb question and sorry to hijack the thread but does fondant stick to hard buttercream or do you need to put another layer in between?

In the Peggy Porschen book, she says to put a layer of Marzipan in between the buttercream and the fondant but I don't want to do that.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #6 of 7

You aren't trying to smooth the fondant with your hands, are you?

If so, you should get ahold of a fondant smoother. Wilton makes one, it's about $3 at Wal-Mart or Michael's or anywhere that sells Wilton. It's a little plastic piece that kinda reminds me of an old school iron. It's white, flat and has a handle on the back. Use that to smooth your sides... it gives more even pressure and doesn't leave grooves like your fingers do.

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:53am
post #7 of 7

Anita8 - I just misted water over my BC and that seemed to do the trick...fondant stuck just fine...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%