Ganache

Decorating By jadedlogic Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 5:35am by mrsmudrash

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 10

So,I want to try making ganache but I don't know where to start. I keep seeing it used in different ways - how do I know which way to make it?
I want to be able to try it in place of buttercream under fondant and also as a filling. Is it the same either way? I hope this makes sense.

Also, does it have to be kept in the fridge? And if I was to use chocolate ganache under white mmf would it show through?

9 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 10

This is where I started. http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/howtocook/primers/cakedecoratingrecipesandtips/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Buttercream-109248

This is Toba Garetts chocolate buttercream, which uses ganache and it is fabulous. I do not use the godiva, for numerous reasons, but substitute a chocolate coffee creamer for it. It is good with the Godiva, but I have an allergy to alcohol, go figure!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 10

Check out my signature for a ganache tutorial. As for filling, maybe you could whip it.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 10

I just use 2 parts chocolate chips to 1 part heavy cream, let it set up awhile and use it for filling and frosting. Never had a problem with it showing thru white MFF. It does not need to be refrigerated. I could eat it by the buckets and love to work with it, so much easier than BC to get a smooth finish

jadedlogic Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 10

Thanks everyone!

When I am letting it sit overnight at room temp, do I cover it? I read not to cover it if putting in the fridge but does it make a difference if its a room temp?

How long does it stay good for?

Thank you icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:19am
post #6 of 10

There is no need to cover when in room temp. Just lay a paper towel on top if you want.

I usually keep it until the expiration of the cream.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:30am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetmar

This is where I started. http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/howtocook/primers/cakedecoratingrecipesandtips/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Buttercream-109248

This is Toba Garetts chocolate buttercream, which uses ganache and it is fabulous. I do not use the godiva, for numerous reasons, but substitute a chocolate coffee creamer for it. It is good with the Godiva, but I have an allergy to alcohol, go figure!

Just a note, I believe I read in her book this doesn't crust. I am not positive so maybe someone can confirm this or not.

jadedlogic Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 10

Rylan - in your tutorial you say to boil the cream below medium heat for a minute or so - am I bringing it to boil on high and then lowering the temp or keeping it about medium until it comes to a boil?

Rylan Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlogic

Rylan - in your tutorial you say to boil the cream below medium heat for a minute or so - am I bringing it to boil on high and then lowering the temp or keeping it about medium until it comes to a boil?

I don't think you can go wrong on this. I just prefer the consistent medium heat until it boils. I do that to so it doesn't burn incase I wasn't paying attention.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:35am
post #10 of 10

Anyone know how much ganache is needed to fill and crumb coat a 9" cake with three layers of filling??? Anyone??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%