Making A Topper...need Some Advice

Decorating By Taigen Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm by Taigen

Taigen Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, I am doing a small cake for my niece who is getting married next month. She wants a simple fondant covered cake but asked me if I could make a figurine topper for them and it would be of her the "princess bride" and he would be a "dragon" and she wants to be kissing his nose. I have never made figurines and I told her that but I also said I would at least give it a try.

I just went through over 100 pages of images on here from searching "dragon toppers" and I found this image by CC memeber "becauseimagirl" which is beautiful. It is the red dragon. I have sent her a pm to ask for any advice she can give.

I also found this beautiful white/gold dragon by a company in England "caketoppers. uk"

So I have those images as a guide. I wonder if you could advise what would be the best medium to use? Fondant...fondant/gumpaste 50/50 ... modelling chocolate...rice krispies etc. etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2 replies
Deb_ Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 3

Depending on size I love to use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste or fondant with Tylose powder. It stiffens up the fondant and helps it dry quicker and stronger.

If I'm making something large then I may use some RKT, but for a wedding cake topper I'd just stick to the above.

There are a lot of great utube tutorials out there, I've learned a lot just from watching them. Just do a google search for utube free tutorials with whatever you want to see and a ton of them will come up.

Good luck!

Taigen Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much....I never thought of youtube!

Quote by @%username% on %date%