Edible Image Printers

Decorating By jen4230 Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 1:43am by icingimages

jen4230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen4230 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everybody. This site is my alltime favorite place to be has helped me learn more about the hobby I love. I have a question about Edible image printers I want to buy one and have been searching have found several different kinds but i'm wondering is there on thats better than the other? Any suggestions as to which edible image printer is best would help me out lots..Thanks ahead of time..

13 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 14

Everyone has a different opinion on printers. Some like canons and some prefer epsons. I read so many horor stories about the canons clogging that I got a epson a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. I don't use it all that often but have never had a problem with it clogging. I purchased refillable cartridges, with auto chip reset, on ebay so that keeps the cost of ink down.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 14

Can you use your printer with edible ink after it has used real ink if you clean it first?
I was thinking of cleaning the heads and then doing a couple of test prints on icing sheets before.
Is this too risky?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 14

I have a cannon but have had many problems. I am constantly having to get new print heads ($50 each but warranty covers them). Next time I will get an epson.

I don't think it is a good idea to use a printer that had regular ink running thru it. There is no way of knowing if you cleaned your print head completely, so why take the risk. Plus for about $60 you can get a printer that you just use for edible ink. hth

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 14

Hello!
Actually, we have always gone with Canon's thus far, but it really depends on the ink. Since Canon has the removable printhead, it allows you to clean that part if there is a problem. That is why people generally will choose the Canon over the Epson. But, if you are having consistant problems, there is a good chance that the ink is causing the problem. What brand do you use Patty? Have you contacted your supplier? If you are still under warranty, it seems like there is a definate ink problem that needs to be addressed.

Now all that being said, since we have been using Gold Label inks, and have had such wonderful successes, we have decided to give it a try in the Epson. We havent had any problems in testing in the office only. We tend to abuse our printers on purpose as we need to be sure that our customers dont run in to problems. So far so good...with the Gold Label inks only. In the past when we used a different ink, the Epsons were horrible. But, what we have already found is that the model printer with Epson really makes a huge difference as well.

In answer to Msulli's question, the amount of parts that need to be replaced to change over a printer would be more than the printer itself....sorry.

pattycakesnj Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 14

thanks icingimages for the info. My repair guy says that the edible ink is burning out the printhead (I use kk ink). But the other issue with cannon is those stupid chips, I can't stand changing them, they fall off and are just a royal pia.

icingimages Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 14

I understand completely the frustration you are feeling. There are other options of cartridges that come with chips and the inks will not burn your printhead out. Have you considered other vendors?

pattycakesnj Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 14

I may try another vendor when my supply of refill inks run out but my printer still needs cartridges with the chips so there is still that problem.

icingimages Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:31am
post #9 of 14

Yes, cartridges do come with chips on them now. There is no reason you should be transferring chips these days. Back when the chip first came out, some companies choose to do it that way, I didnt realize they were still doing that. I am sorry for your frustration.

jen4230 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 14

Tiggy2 what model Epson do you have? I have read so many horror stories about both Canon and Epson so not really sure which one to go for any suggestions? I like the idea with the Canon because of the removable print head and I read with Epson if you have a problem with the print head you have to replace the entire unit not just the print head. Its really hard to decide reading all the different opinions I guess its best if i choose one I would feel comfortable with. I won't be using it everyday so I want one that will last.
Anybody have any suggestions on which model of Epson or Canon is the best?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 14

I have the Epson all in one cx4200; however it's no longer available. I don't use it a lot but I do try to print something at least once a month even if it's just on paper. I can't promise an epson will never clog but mine never has.

jen4230 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 14

I have been searching and have found that only certain printers work I want to know how do you know if a printer is edible ink compatible?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #13 of 14

Go to the Epson website. You can see those printers that work with edible ink. Also if you do a search for edible printers you'll also find some Canon printers.

icingimages Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #14 of 14

You will find people who swear by both. It is important to find a good supplier with quality ink and great support if you need it. This is really what makes the difference. The best canon printer that is on the market today, is the Canon ip3600. It just works and works and works.

If you are going to use your printer less then once a week, you may find someone to print for you, or go the other route and print for other people. You can go to area bakers and offer to print for them and increase your business! But every printer, whether edible or not, needs to be used regularly for the best results!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%