Need Some Help/advice!

Decorating By sjc0858 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 5:21am by milkmaid42

sjc0858 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjc0858 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 13

Hello,
I am a new gal to the cake decorating world. I have created a couple of cakes that I am really proud of. This cake however did not turn out as clean as I would have liked and not real sure what I did wrong. I am almost too embarrassed to present it.

The buttercream was smooth but then turned out looking like spackle. I made many mistakes afterward that I had a lot of trouble fixing but just eventually had to throw in the towel for fear of making it worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

12 replies
sjc0858 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 13

Can not get my pic to post! If you have time, please go under my name to view the cake. It is the 80's themed cake.
Thank yoU!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 13

i only see .. that you maybe need to thin your icing a bit ..let it set up . then smooth with the viva paper towel method... or a lot of people use melviras method. with the high intensidy roller.. from the lowes or home depot, etc.. hth i like your cake theme.. very nice

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 13

Don't worry practice makes perfect. Just try to follow your recipes correctly. If you are having problems with your recipes start trying some amazing recipes found here in CC. Don't get discourage cake decorating is fun. I've made a lot of mistakes like forgetting the eggs in my batter, lol lol. Keep trying, good luck!!!! icon_wink.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 13

I don't think you should be embarrassed at all! It's very fun and creative! I think your icing looks too stiff. Try thinning it down with a bit more liquid next time

sjc0858 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you! I THOUGHT it was pretty thin at the time. I wonder if humidity plays a factor at all? IT has been super rainy the past few days.
Yeah, good idea on the Viva paper icing..I need to get me a roll of that for future cakes!
Thank you springlakecake! That means a lot coming from someone who obviously has a great talent! That cake in your profile pic is awesome!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 13

Yes, humidity can be a problem. Perhaps if you dont think it was too stiff, maybe it just had too many airbubbles in the buttercream?

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 13

Along with thinning your BC a little bit more, mix it longer. I have found that I get the best results if I turn the mixer on low and allow it to mix for a minimum of 10 minutes - icing turns out so much smoother. The longer it is mixed the more the shortening has to blend with the other ingredients.

sjc0858 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 13

AHHHH! Good point about the mixing. I always thought it was bad to overmix so I did not mix for very long at all...just until it seemed smooth enough.
Thank you all so much.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:58am
post #10 of 13

It looks like air bubbles to me? I had some that was really bubbly on the weekend, so I put it back in the mixer on the lowest setting for 10 mins. Before each gob I scooped out, I worked it a little with my spatula to get out any remaining air. HTH. Great work by the way, especially as you call yourself a 'new gal'icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:32am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc0858

AHHHH! Good point about the mixing. I always thought it was bad to overmix so I did not mix for very long at all...just until it seemed smooth enough.
Thank you all so much.

A common mistake, but with icing you need to really pulverize the fat; break those fat particles down to absolutely NOTHING to get the creamiest, smoothest icing.

Cake batter you dont' want to mix more than a couple of minutes. Icing you want to turn on the mixer and then go do some laundry. icon_biggrin.gif

No such thing as "overmixing" icing in my kitchen! thumbs_up.gif

sjc0858 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:53am
post #12 of 13

Now I am certain that was the problem and know what to do next time. Ya'll are AWESOME!
Thank you kiwigal. You made my nighticon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:21am
post #13 of 13

I agree with the posts re. thoroughly beating the icing. Just wanted to mention you will want to use a crusting BC for the high density roller, or the Viva towel method. They are both terrific for getting a smooth finish. I am glad you are anxious to continue. Don't ever give up, or be embarrassed. Everyone on this site is always happy to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%