Can I Use Modeling Chocolate To Cover Cake Instead Of Mmf?

Baking By gmorriello Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 2:22pm by joknee

gmorriello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmorriello Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 12

I am playing with using modeling chocolate instead of using fondant to cover a cake for my friend. She doesn't like fondant. Do I use more corn syrup to give greater flexibility? Has anyone tried this?

11 replies
milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 12

I don't see why you don't just use a thick ganache (2:1) instead of modeling chocolate? It is easy to apply, cuts readily with a knife and makes a smooth foundation for what ever decoration you want to apply. (It is also delicious as the base under fondant, if you ever choose to use that.) I do like to use modeling chocolate for figures, but can't see it for covering a whole cake.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 12

You can't add more corn syrup to make modeling chocolate more flexible. Accidentally added more than I needed once and it basically ruined the batch. What you can do is mix modeling chocolate and fondant for a wonderful tasting "canvas."

There is also the art of rolled buttercream which tastes like buttercream and works like fondant (only stretchier.) As well, you can combine rolled buttercream and fondant for a tasty alternative.

Both of those ratios are about 50/50

HTH!

gmorriello Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 12

thanks ladies! I will look into both options! I appreciate your responses:0)

gmorriello Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 12

Milkmaid...do you have a good recipe for the thick ganache (I need it to be white)?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 12

This is a good overall lesson on ganache and provides info on making it a white chocolate ganache:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/ganache.html

gmorriello Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you so much Win! I really appreciate the guidance thumbs_up.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 12

gmorriello...Here is the recipe I use.

GANACHE

Chocolate: 2:1 = 1lb. (16 oz), chocolate to 1 C. (8 oz.) Cream
White Chocolate: 3:1 =1.5lbs. (24 oz.) white chocolate to 1 C. (8 oz) Cream

Larger quantity: 3:1 (3 lbs. white chocolate to 2 C. Cream)

I use the same technique for the white as for the dark: I put the chopped chocolate in the microwave and stir between short zaps until melted. Have ready the hot cream and stir it in. I even use my immersion blender here. It can remain on the counter overnight to use the next day, or if I am in a hurry I place it in the refrigerator until it achieves the consistency of peanut butter. If it gets too cold and thick, a short zap in the microwave restores its spreadability. I love it. It tastes delicious and smoothes well with a hot knife. It also can hide minor imperfections.
I have tried rolled buttercream but find it too "greasy" for my liking. This is just my opinion, although I have never tried combining it with fondant.
Hope this helps.

gmorriello Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you! It is amazing how everyone is so supportive and cooperative. It means so much to be able to get such quick feedback and great insight. Thank you Milkmaid42 and Win! I'll keep you posted!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 12

I have covered a cake with modeling chocolate. But...it was HEAVY!!! I think the ganache idea is the best. JMO

GOOD LUCK!

Beth in KY

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:50am
post #11 of 12

On tonight's episode of Ace of Cakes they covered the civil war memorial cake in modeling chocolate, but it looked more like a show piece than a cake meant to be eaten, but you might want to check it out.

joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 12

Can you substitute candy melts for the chocolate in the ganache recipes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%