If I'm Not . . . Leveling Cakes??

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm by kaddikakes

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 7

filling or making a two layer cake (12 x 1icon_cool.gif do I have to level it? Since I'm only making a one layer cake I don't want to cut too much off? Does this question make sense? Please help. Cakes are due on Saturday.

6 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 7

If you don't level it, the cake will have a dome shaped look once iced, unless it baked pretty level - you can also try to flatten it a bit by pushing down the top with a cardboard round when its hot out of the oven and still in the pan. Your iced cake will resemble the shape of your naked cake, you can adjust a bit with icing but not enough to hide a large dome top.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 7

Agree with Fullhouse.
Whilst still hot - place a heavy object on it to flatten out any rise/dome, before you take it out of pan.

Same size cake pan with some jars of jam in it will work...
LOL - it worked for me. thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 7

I use a sheet pan for the flattening. And yes, even for a single layer cake, it should be level on top. It's the mark of someone who knows what she's doing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 7

Also if you filled the top down on the board, depending on how big the dome is it could crack the layer in half.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 7

If the dome is slight you can let the cake cool for a few minutes then invert it out onto a cooling rack and it will flatten out. For a clean, neat, more professional looking cake you need a nice level top. Learn the tricks to accomplish this and you'll be much happier with your results, every time. You can level your cakes then stack them with the cut sides together and have that nice even bottom up to ice.

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much. I will attempt to level it tonight. I'll post my pictures when done. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%